Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Once again, Baby Boomers are at fault

Once again, Baby Boomers are at fault

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...ash-it-feature

First healthcare, now car collecting.....

Overall, I do agree with the premise of the article, that demographic shifts do shift market tastes. But come on, we Gen Xers and Millenials know how to drive a stick. We learned it by playing X-box.

FULL DISCLOSURE....I WAS BORN AFTER WATERGATE.
    -------------------------------
    # 2477

This " The happiest people in the hobby are the ones who buy what they like first and let the market worry about return on investment."
    That's was how I bought every car. 3 out of 4 ended up doing well too all of a sudden. That was just gravy.

Well, I was born in 1969 - no boomer here. When I bought the 911, the original/previous owner had offered it to his kids and they passed. For them, it was a money thing, and I understand that - however, I'd never have passed on my dad's Porsche. But I think that helps frame the current marketplace with the current younger generation. Not quite flush with disposable cash.

Back to the topic, I think there's a break in here. My generation doesn't care much for the Camaros, Corvettes, and Bel-Airs. We're after the European stuff - we grew up with BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, Ferrari in the '80s. Those were our icons. I'd think the European car market (911s especially) are relatively protected. But if I owned an expensive muscle car, I'd be wanting to sell before everyone else does. The article is correct - someday those older guys will start to economize and sell with very few buyers. We non-Boomers won't be looking towards the cars our parents had in high school - we'll be looking for the cars we wanted in high school.

And perhaps, someday if I get the itch, I'll buy a very cherry, very restored, rarely-used GTO for $15,000. Booyah.

- Brian

1966 Mercedes 250SE Cab

I am vintage 1970 and my wife 71....and agree 100%:

We aren't alone. Look at 80s 911 prices....

Quote Originally Posted by POS View Post
    Well, I was born in 1969 - no boomer here. When I bought the 911, the original/previous owner had offered it to his kids and they passed. For them, it was a money thing, and I understand that - however, I'd never have passed on my dad's Porsche. But I think that helps frame the current marketplace with the current younger generation. Not quite flush with disposable cash.

Back to the topic, I think there's a break in here. My generation doesn't care much for the Camaros, Corvettes, and Bel-Airs. We're after the European stuff - we grew up with BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, Ferrari in the '80s. Those were our icons. I'd think the European car market (911s especially) are relatively protected. But if I owned an expensive muscle car, I'd be wanting to sell before everyone else does. The article is correct - someday those older guys will start to economize and sell with very few buyers. We non-Boomers won't be looking towards the cars our parents had in high school - we'll be looking for the cars we wanted in high school.

And perhaps, someday if I get the itch, I'll buy a very cherry, very restored, rarely-used GTO for $15,000. Booyah.

nemo me impune lacessit Kris Clewell's Avatar
    I was born in 81. Im not sure where I even fit into all this. I'm far less concerned about value than some of the crowd we are talking about.
    -Kris Clewell

Professional photojournalist

red decklid club member #1

84 (and if we keep going in this direction, we may members that haven't seen the 1990 Soccer World Cup)... I believe the good news is that the 911 still exist after 50 years, and hopefully will exist for another couple hundreds in one form or another. That will basically keep the appeal of the early 911 for some time. Not sure about the price though but it will almost guarantee a market as long as Porsche continues promoting the exciting around the brand. Another piece of good news for those that we don't really care about value (unless we are buying a car), if prices for the cars we always dreamed of go down, we will be able to buy them cheaper and we will be able to enjoy them without thinking we are losing so much money with every mile we put on the car... bad news our current car prices will go down... I still believe it is a win...
    1969 911T #3495
    Member #2793

I wonder how many less than 50 year olds are on this site....I bet a minority.

nemo me impune lacessit Kris Clewell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Louie View Post
    I wonder how many less than 50 year olds are on this site....I bet a minority.
    This circles back to why PCA and car clubs in general are dying/fading away.
    -Kris Clewell

Professional photojournalist

red decklid club member #1

Senior Member Christian Guthrie's Avatar
    I was born in 72' so add me to the minority.

Also born in '72. In my teens I owned a lot of affordable European cars. The ones I couldn't afford are the ones that are taking off and I have always had on my wish list. When I can afford them they will be sought after vigorously by me.

Happy motoring.