Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Once again, Baby Boomers are at fault

I was born in 1990. I have no idea what generation that makes me. But I do have a few friends who are into classic cars- cars our dads wished they could afford when they were young. Some of the guys like muscle cars but there are a good number who appreciate a Dino or an early 911.

Much like fashion (aviator sunglasses, bell bottoms), I suspect classic cars will go through cycles of popularity.

As an aside, one thing my dad mentions now and then is that when he was young a 40 year old car looked like ancient history. And he's right. A 1920 Ford was a world away from a 1960 Ford like he drove. But a 1974 911 isn't all that different looking to a 2014 by comparison. And I know my 1983 BMW daily driver seemed just a few years old. Mechanical progress happened at a blistering pace- 1903 we had a short hop over the beach at Kitty Hawk and 1969, 66 years later, we were on the moon. Now, 45 years on we still haven't been back since Apollo (yes I know the last Apollo mission was in the 70's). Most progress has been electronics. Well, and carbon fiber and aerodynamics in race cars, but that was aerospace tech that filtered down, and you had Jim Hall and Michael May with wings long ago.
    Last edited by Flieger; 02-18-2014 at 07:44 PM.
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

Quote Originally Posted by Digital K View Post
    This circles back to why PCA and car clubs in general are dying/fading away.
    Um, PCA's growth rate doubled in 2013—moving from 62,000 to 65,000 and now just 18 members shy of 66,000.

More importantly, PCA's health is evident in terms of member involvement: National events like Porsche Parade and the newer, more casual Escape to [insert city here] continue to enjoy extremely strong attendance (large host hotels sell out in less than a day, requiring multiple hotels—even in Traverse City, Michigan last year), Tech Tactics are selling out on both coasts, and the 48 Hours at Sebring club race attracts more 911 GT3 Cups than any race on the planet, professional or otherwise. If you count regional events, PCA hosts 3,000 events every year. In other news, the club is offering a $500,000 rebate to its regions on a per-member basis. Not sure how that fits with "dying/fading away."

I've understood from your other posts that you didn't like your host region much, that you felt it was unwelcoming and/or "dead." Regions do vary from one to the next, so I encourage you to either be a change agent or join a more active region nearby. Or better yet, come hang out with me for a day—I'll make the time—at Parade 2014 in Monterey or Parade 2015 in French Lick, Indiana. It might alter your opinions of PCA. Last year's Parade sure changed some of mine—and I had a blast at the Ice Cream Social, teaching someone how to drive a stick in a parking lot, hanging out with Ed Mayo, and just watching cars go by at the autocross. That last one was particularly sweet...probably the best time I've had around cars without driving them in a long time.

As to the original post: I've been watching Porsches pretty closely for a long time now and don't know what to make of the market for the air-cooled cars—and am not sure I trust anyone who says they do. The run-up in prices has been wild, for lack of a better term. While it feels like a bubble to me, it felt like a bubble to me years ago, and prices keep climbing. There are good and bad effects associated, depending on where you happen to be in the game. Me? I shoulda, coulda...and now suspect a longhood is out of reach and will continue to be—if for no other reason than I can no longer justify them in terms of value for the kind of usage that appeals to me. Glad to have my old 914 and will keep it, but will probably go more modern with my next Porsche. And I don't see that as a bad thing, even if I am a little wistful and miss my old 911 more and more as prices continue to climb.

And I must also say thanks to Pete for the increase in early car articles. There seem to be many more 356 and 914 articles than there used to be. And more early 911s rather than a report on the latest model plus the usual article reproduced from a Bill Oursler book.
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

Awesome Porsche hoard!

Quote Originally Posted by ibmiked View Post
    Also born in '72. In my teens I owned a lot of affordable European cars. The ones I couldn't afford are the ones that are taking off and I have always had on my wish list. When I can afford them they will be sought after vigorously by me.

Happy motoring.

How about this...

One of the reasons I came back to Porsche (from a stint with Ferraris and Lamborghinis) was because of the PCA. The PCA is massively under appreciated and in many ways should be credited for getting Porsche through the dark years of the early 90s...the PCA kept the enthusiasts involved and Porsche struggled.

IMO one of the best aspects of Porsche ownership/ PCA membership is purity. If you have a 914...a 930...a GT3RS 4.0...a 73RS...a 67S....everyone gets along. Porsche people love the cars and the shared experiences that accompany the passion.

My experience from being involved with the FCA and Lambo club was much less about cars and more about ego.

AND the PCA magazine is the absolute best P magazine by a Texas country mile.

Tim

nemo me impune lacessit Kris Clewell's Avatar
    Good post Pete. I think part of my thought process comes from being plugged in with the younger guys a little more who just dont really do as much with clubs anymore. If you guys are turning that around, thats great. I'd be interested to see growth rates of local chapters -vs- national club membership. The club here isnt necessarily dead, but it certainly was unwelcoming. Either way, I am happy to meet and hang out with you sometime at an event.

Anywhere called French Lick has to be good?
    -Kris Clewell

Professional photojournalist

red decklid club member #1

Quote Originally Posted by Digital K View Post
    Anywhere called French Lick has to be good?
    C'mon Kris! The hick from French Lick "Larry Bird"

Pete keep up the good work, you are just what PCA needed. Oh, I was at Traverse City and on your way to the Concours Banquet you spotted my '71 Bahia Red Targa in the parking lot and paid me a nice compliment.
    Mike Fitton # 2071
    2018 911S Carrera White
    2012 991 Platinum Silver ( Gone)
    1971 911T Targa Bahia Red (Gone to France)
    1995 911 Carrera Polar Silver (Gone)

No Affiliation with City of Chicago!

I was born in '64, but my wife in '74, so what does that mean? There are an AWFUL lot of cars out there. Take your pick and enjoy the ride. You can get awesome value on nicely restored 41 Lincoln Continentals and the like these days. I bet these little 911's have a more enduring value. There are however always interesting times ahead with fluctuating market value, demographic change. I just wanted to get back and follow through on a dream to own/improve/drive at least one of the iconic cars on my list - build on latent desires and skills - and have fun being facinated. It was all bicycles, poli sci, wilderness and travel just a little while ago, now its back to the cave and wrenching for the perfect drive. A great proportion those little kiddos will go through a similar shift as they wisen up I for one am preparing to say 'yes' when dad offers to hand over the keys.

Dave Conklin had a good piece on this topic in Classic Porsche magazine this issue.

nemo me impune lacessit Kris Clewell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mfitton View Post
    C'mon Kris! The hick from French Lick "Larry Bird"

Pete keep up the good work, you are just what PCA needed. Oh, I was at Traverse City and on your way to the Concours Banquet you spotted my '71 Bahia Red Targa in the parking lot and paid me a nice compliment.
    I BARELY remember larry bird. Barely.
    -Kris Clewell

Professional photojournalist

red decklid club member #1