Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Once again, Baby Boomers are at fault

I have a '73 911. I don't have any problem at all with these incredible price escalations. I just saw a 911T listed for $139,000. That's the best news I've seen in a while. It all depends on what you own. btw - I'm totally priced out of the Ferrari market. Always have been though.

Richard Newton

Doing the classic car thing was something out of fact that I really dislike all the plastic and rubber in new cars. I just like driving and use my car for the extra long distance drives. Collecting.. meh... its still a car that people throw an arbitrary value to it.
    E911SR #2107
    69 911T/S SWT 3.2L
    RG #384

Born in 1950, and have owned Porsches for 2.5 years now; I wanted one, though, from the time I was 14 or 15 and saw a photo of one in the newspaper. My first fun car was a 1974 BMW 2002, which my ex-wife ended up with. Since then, it was a series of boring cars until I bought my WRX wagon. That desire for a 911, though, finally beat me to a pulp, so I sold all my guitars (6 of them), almost all my amps (4 or 5 of them), and a bunch of other gear. It enabled me to buy my 87 Carrera coupe (Veronica). Then the long hood bug hit me, so I bought Daisy, my 72 T. It took me a while to get her together, and she needs some new map pockets and dash, but she's mine, and I'm happy. I love the air-cooled cars. My son has already called dibs on Veronica, as well as the one amp I held on to, a 100w 1971 Marshall Super Lead.
    Serge

City of Ben Franklin and Cheesesteaks
    Instagram: Truevisionmediaworks

Early S Registry #2457
    Daisy: 1972 T with 2.7 engine and Webers
    LOOKING FOR 911 Engine # 6123044

Rowlf: 2017 Volvo S60 with Polestar Optimization

Mostro di Biscotti: 1975 Lancia Fulvia 1.3S Series 2

Veronica: 1987 Carrera coupe - curves in all the right places...SOLD
    Lil' Blue: 2002 Subaru WRX Wagon SOLD

Very similar--also born 1950 and wanted a 911 after seeing/hearing them buzzing down Sunset Blvd circa 1972 when I first went to CA. When I got a real job in 1973 I looked at a 72 911T nearly new but it was $7800 or so so I settled for a dealer demo loaded 72 2002tii for $4200 I think. Finally got my 1st one in 1982--an 80 SC. Bought first early 911S in 1989 and still have it. Thank God.

Nord Stern Region of PCA....west coast side of Region
    THANKS Pete for all you do.

And, the rest of your group at HQ.

We saw Manny and Vu at the PCA tent in Daytona at the Rolex 24 just a month ago. Along with quite a few Porsche drivers and participants who went the extra mile to educate and keep informed all who would listen on the developments on track as events occurred.

W0W !

THIS PCA board and Club are Definitely NOT dead and dying.

And, I am VERY proud to be a member since the mid 80's when we bought our first new 944 in '84. Its been a dynamic ride within the group and with the car. Cannot say enough good about any of it...... One of the BEST organizations in the world today, and it keeps getting better every hour with undying enthusiasm from volunteers like we have on the Board and within our Regions.

And, here is a double thumbs up for Nord Stern, an awesome group of diehard enthusiasts , track junkies, and Concours participants.

Give it another try Kris; you may well be surprised at what you are missing out on ........
    Best Regards,
    mrgreenjeans
    member # 1503

-'68 -912 Red
    -'74 -914-2.0 litre - Sunflower
    -'82/83 -944 -M404 - Guards Red
    -'84 -944 -M456 - Guards Red -Weissach Prep. -H52
    -'84 -944 -M456 - Zermatt Silver
    -'84 -944 -M404 - Sunroof Delete - Ruby Red
    -'85.2 - 944 -M456 -Zermatt / Sport Purposes
    -'86 -944 -R74 Spt.Touring Pkg - White/Burgandy
    -'88 -944 - Jubilee Ltd. Ed. -Satin Black Met/Grey Plaid
    -'88 -911 - Tourist Delivery -Venetian Blue
    -'89 -944 Turbo M030 - Satin Black Met.

nemo me impune lacessit Kris Clewell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenjeans View Post
    Give it another try Kris; you may well be surprised at what you are missing out on ........

I dont want to beat a dead horse with my thoughts on this, but thanks for thinking of me. I just dont think its for me. I really felt unwelcome which was bizarre for a "new member meeting". I suppose I could have said I was a photographer/journalist and worked for so and so, but I really dont operate that way. I also feel like I dont have room for any more club stuff in my life with eurowerks, and all the local stuff that goes on outside of PCA. Most of my local friends that own porsche stuff arent into PCA either so there's really no motivation....
    -Kris Clewell

Professional photojournalist

red decklid club member #1

F-Session
    I was created in 81. Im not sure where I even fit into all this. I'm far less involved about value than some of the audience we are referring to.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital K View Post
    I dont want to beat a dead horse with my thoughts on this, but thanks for thinking of me. I just dont think its for me. I really felt unwelcome which was bizarre for a "new member meeting". I suppose I could have said I was a photographer/journalist and worked for so and so, but I really dont operate that way. I also feel like I dont have room for any more club stuff in my life with eurowerks, and all the local stuff that goes on outside of PCA. Most of my local friends that own porsche stuff arent into PCA either so there's really no motivation....
    I thought stout was really very nice to make that offer, which shows how nice members can be. Clearly he's being very welcoming and I personally would give them a second chance just based on that.

But each club appeals to a different demographic, and we need to identify with that do perhaps the fit wasn't right? (I am not a member either but I generally don't join clubs though I like gatherings). Indeed, more specialized clubs should feel like a better fit.

I should/will join just to support them.
    Last edited by rower; 02-20-2014 at 12:09 PM.

member #1515
    Two good reasons to join PCA:
    1) The revamped Panorama, kudos to Mr. Stout.
    2) The fact that, following the great article in the most recent edition, about PDK VS Manual, has apparently prompted the factory to consider a manual box on the GT3.

;
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

I was born in '74. I'm out. One of my first jobs was being a shop rat at my best friends dads european auto repair in Escondido CA. All he did was Porsche, Mercedes & BMW. From the first day I saw an Aubergine '69s I was hooked.I made some money selling vintage guitars and bought my 71' T Targa in 1996 from the original owner for 7K. Another plus was the first time I drove a 930 at the shop. My friends dad must have trusted me a lot. Give an 18 year old the keys to a 930 and tell him the drive it hard for a half an hour. They put fluorescent dye in the oil and I would take these cars out for 30 mins and drive the crap out of them!!!!!! Those were the days!!!

1971 911T Targa Light Ivory