Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Aus delivered matching numbered 71T big restoration looking for a home

Aus delivered matching numbered 71T big restoration looking for a home

Hey all,

After careful consideration and discussion with some well educated friends here and around the community, I've decided this car is not for me but would love to see it come back to life and I'm sure there is someone here that is up for the job.

It's an Australian delivered (confirmed by PCA) Conda Green 1971 911T with a matching numbers engine and the sporto replaced with a 5 speed. That's the good news and that's about all of it, so before you get to excited, there are many things that need doing on this car.

The engine is seized but there is also a 2.7 that may or may not be running that is included. It has been partially converted to an impact bumper car with same period seats, lots of rust throughout, deck lid rusted through. It s been under a tarp and not registered for about 23 years from the 1990 NSW rego sticker on the car window. It's pretty much complete with original seats and front bumper still with the car. The interior is very much weathered and deteriorated. No Fuchs but cookie cutters.

I have taken about 70 pictures which I can share with whomever might be interested in taking this on, a few are below. I also have the current owners details which I am happy to pass on via PM. Its on the north side on Sydney with a gentlemen who claims to be the second owner.

There are no books or history with this car, the alleged second (current) owner bought the car is 1982 and did all the work himself and is past working anymore on the car, he has other projects in his backyard, I doubt they will be done either...

So there you have it, PM me is you are keen

2014-01-23 13.27.37.jpg2014-01-23 13.30.19.jpg2014-01-23 13.39.07.jpg
    Rob Scheeren
    Autofokus Porsche Photography
    www.autofokus.com.au
    911S Registry #2338
    Typ901 Register #314

NO replies but a few PM's...buyer started at $25K but has dropped it to $20K...worth about 10K if that IMHO
    Rob Scheeren
    Autofokus Porsche Photography
    www.autofokus.com.au
    911S Registry #2338
    Typ901 Register #314

How much visible corrosion could you see Rob?
    John Forcier
    EarlyS #1987
    1968 911 Race Car "Grun Hilda"
    1969 S/T interpretation "Blau Healer"
    Restoration Saga

Quote Originally Posted by Fishcop View Post
    How much visible corrosion could you see Rob?
    not pretty john …

http://www.robscheeren.com/p99761736
    Craig
    Newcastle, Australia
    ESR #1479

1973 2.4E Coupe ex Hong Kong ex Norfolk Island ex New Zealand now in Oz
    (Autowerks restored stunner)
    http://www.autowerks.com.au/porsche_projects/index.html

1972 2.4E Targa ex Germany ex Japan now in Oz
    (another Autowerks project)

1969 built E based Vintage Racer
    (another Autowerks beauty)
    http://s12.photobucket.com/?postlogin=true

Quote Originally Posted by epilot View Post
    Oh dear...

What a conundrum. Lots of valuable bits there so that others may live; but who wants to be the guy that wields the gas-axe on an Aussie RHD?

There is no question we've all seen the threads resurrecting such calamities as this car, and if an S it's simply a no-brainer - indeed same for an E these days. Are we getting to the point that we just dig in and save the T's as well now? I suspect so. But I'm a nut-bag
    Last edited by Fishcop; 02-22-2014 at 12:20 AM.
    John Forcier
    EarlyS #1987
    Restoration Saga

Cant see it making sense dollar wise, when I see how difficult it is for people to sell excellent finished cars for a reasonable price... e.g. markymark 1968 car

I agree Chris, 100%

However if you've got spare storage and can park it up dry somewhere for another 10 years...?
    John Forcier
    EarlyS #1987
    Restoration Saga

John
    I tend to Agree with you except it is likely to be less than 10 years. Also you would need to "stop the rot" which probably means stripping it first to isolate the bad bits and treat those which may be savable without too much effort up front. That adds to the storage space needed and the risk of losing stuff. That would also allow you to develop a bucket list of parts needed over time because while you are waiting for the cars time in the sun all the parts needed to make it whole again will probably be going up in price and scarcity faster than the car is going up in value.
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

So is the answer to restore now, then park it in your SMSF for 10 years?

I'm aware of another Aussie car, a 70T, in a similar situation (though it's stripped and under cover). The owner is similarly torn on what to do based on $ and commitments to another car. I think people are getting hung up on the lack of difference in restoration cost between the T/E/S models and the respective $$ investment recoup. It's a pity as they are starting to all become worth the effort, and eventually only the T's will remain available. That's a circular way of saying if you have the space, buy 'em up!
    John Forcier
    EarlyS #1987
    Restoration Saga

Wow I think I like my new purchase over this John. I almost choked when I saw the post, but when I looked at the photos…….

I'd like a fe bots though :-)
    Andrew B (Tiger)
    911 69E Historic Production Race Car