Thread: A Little Vinegar . . .

A Little Vinegar . . .

Pssst --- hey, Buddy . . . wanna buy a 'project'? . . .

. . . 1958 DeLuxe 23 LAST pressed bumper Samba? project Price: pending, stays in US . . .

. . . With great reluctance I list one of my babies. I've had this since the 80's.It was a very original August 1958 23 window. Till someone finds a later one, I'm claiming it to be the LAST PRESSED BUMPER 23 WINDOW BUILT! I FEEL CERTAIN it was built 29 August 1958. This poor thing was only driven 12 years, then set outside in a damp area. NOT ONE MAJOR DENT! It was very rusty when we got it and we fixed it with a 1963 bottom clip from west coast car. In other words, my brother(the prime mover) cut all EXCEPT the frame, floor and rockers, front wheel arches and rear wheel houses off a California sourced 1963 Kombi, and the opposite part of the 58 and put the 58 onto the 1963 chassis. He took all the front cabin sheet metal out by carefully drilling out all the spot welds, so he could use the 1963 floor but the 58 wheel houses. Also so he could access all the welds and do them well. The Kombi was painted brown and you can see a bit of it on the lower drivers side. Also both pictures of the partition clearly show the SWR upper 58 part and the grey (Kombi interior color) lowerr part from the kombi. Got the hard part done, then he moved 250 miles away. So, with a serial number of 384595, this has to be one of the very last known 23 window pressed bumper buses, right? Body number 354096. Some good and some bad . . .

. . . Nearly perfectly dent free. Nose is up against wall of barn, but I got pictures . . .

. . . Hardly any rust in the windshield/ window glass area. It is incredible how clean the window openings where the rubber goes. The worst is driver's side with a small perforation in each lower corner. But there is rust on the bottom edge of the driver's door and top and bottom of rear hatch.
    And there is bad rust on the right skylight area. Also on the left, but about half as much. Apparently the roof was leaking where it's been stored the last 20 years . . .

. . . Both rear lower 1958 corners are gone, I have the right side 1963 corner only, but maybe make sense just to get a new part. Bumpers are there and very good. (Original paint, splash pans, deluxe trim and BOLTS.) . . .

. . . No engine, most of the trim is gone. Some of the glass, I think I have 3 sunroof glasses. front glass, both corners and rear window. and 1 window in each front door is broken. The sunroof mechanism is there and nice.And I have NOS sunroof slider blocks as well a few other NOS parts. NOS inner and outer RH rockers . . .

. . . My actual hope is do a bit more metal work to make it solid and near water tight, then to haul this to the west coast in late january. I have a 1962 middle seat, no rear seat. and a original front seat. that might stitch together if original survivor is in your vocabulary! Almost all interior panels but the long left side is torn badly and part missing. Rear seat arm rests, all the jail bars and coat hooks are there. 4 8/58 crows foot wheels, 1 trim ring.
    Also have a correct date 8p starter, and most of the original transmission. Though it will not fit the 1963 chassis, so not really a usable spare part for this car . . .

. . . Oh, it was an AMAG vehicle (Swiss distributor) Has their aluminum tag on the apron. EVER SEE ONE? Been in my town since 1960, I have 1964 dated Iowa title, but will get it transferred and tagged in my name. And yes, the ID plate . . .

. . . And deliver it in western half US . . .

. . . Price, as much as I can get over $20,000. And that includes delivery to the western half of the US. Might take interesting trade for part . . .

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifie...php?id=1571784

Here . . . pull my finger

(Not mine)
    Attached Images Attached Images

We Can Be Heroes