Thread: Early owners manual pouch

Early owners manual pouch

I have acquired a very early owners manual dated 1/65 that came with a pouch I have never seen before. Clear vinyl like a 356C-SC but with a flap, snap and gold crest. Is this the first version of the pouch?
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by 66S; 02-26-2014 at 05:37 PM.

In 40+ years owning 356 Porsches, I've never seen that OM pouch before. Given that OM pouches were pretty much the same design from the mid-1950's through the early 911's, I can't see why Porsche would come out with a different version in 1965, or sometime during the 356-911 transition. I'm not convinced that cover was originally for a 911 OM. But I could be wrong.......

CW

Was that the one that was on e-bay? I saw one very similar which claimed the pouch was original, but was put off bidding because I could find no evidence that this was ever used by Porsche for this purpose...

But it raises some interesting questions: is it original? Was it a dealer thing? Etc...
    1966 911 Coupe - Slate Grey - 304598 - still in restoration!

Member #1616

I don't think there is a dealer on earth who wouldn't put his name on this if he had them made. I wonder if Der White has ever seen a burgundy pouch with small crest that looks like early 911 but is a little smaller so a 356 manual fits but not a 911 manual? I had one of those, never saw another. The construction of this pouch is somewhat similar to the more common clear 356C-SC pouch. This is the one from the bay. Nobody has documented owners manual pouches as far as I know and it should be done. "Pretty much the same" doesn't make sense considering the clear 356 pouches which may have started with T6B and were used for C-SC.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by 66S; 02-25-2014 at 02:37 PM.

"I don't think there is a dealer on earth who wouldn't put his name on this if he had them made."

I very much agree with 66s's comment above. The only thing that troubles me is the crest on the front. Assuming that's a factory item, what was it for? If it was originally for owner's manuals, you'd think there would be more of them. I'm also troubled by the snaps, but can't put my finger on why. Doesn't seem like Porsche would do it like that. I've collecting factory 356 & 911/912 owner's manuals since the early 1970's. I was once given the opportunity by a well connected factory personality to acquire one each of every owner's manual Porsche had in stock. I took him up on that offer, and bought one each of everything they had. I think I paid $2.50 each, and they paid the postage. I still have most of those OM's. That was sometime in the mid-to late 1970's. In collecting OM's I have also acquired quite a few OM covers. Over the years, they have ranged from paper to vinyl both maroon and clear. After the 356 era, I sorta lost track of which covers went to which OM's. There are a number of sizes, some maroon, some clear. There are also a number of different vinyl's used in making the covers. Some have different colors inside. I have to admit, I never tried putting the later manuals into the earlier covers to see if they'd fit. Will have to try that. Be interested to hear more about these smaller OM covers, and about the clear snap covers in question.

CW

356 manuals have the binding coil on the long side, 911 on the short side, so the 356 manual is a little shorter. My limited knowledge on 911 pouches is all burgundy with small crest for 65-66, all burgundy with larger crest for 67-6?, burgundy with green interior for 1970, grey interior for 71-7?, blue interior for 76. My clear pouch with flap has indentations of the coil on the flap end showing this manual has been in it for a long time.
    Last edited by 66S; 02-25-2014 at 06:00 PM.

My vote is 356 late Carrera 2 or maybe 904 which could explain why you do not see them.

Don