Thread: restore to original style seats? - opinions please

restore to original style seats? - opinions please

I'm having a 1972 911T completely restored. I'd like to take it back to the original colour and original interior (both were changed at some point in the past) however instead of installing new tan standard leatherette seats that would have been original to the car I'm considering installing tan leather recaro sports seats with houndstooth inserts. So here's my question...I understand restoring the car back to the original colours of the exterior and interior is important but should I also install the same style seats that came with the car originally? If I went to the recaro sports seats then they wouldn't match my COA since my COA doesn't show them as an added option. Should I care?

No worries. Keep the original seats for resale and drive your car with the sport seats. There are more cars out there than ever left the factory with sport seats and houndstooth. Many do this . Including me.
    Steve Shea #1 joined a long time ago
    58 speedster
    66 912
    67S
    73S
    97 VW eurovan
    1132 honda snowblower

member Jackson Hole Ski Club

I did the same to my 72 T.

Cheers,

Harry.

Name:  IMG_7382-L.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  134.1 KB

Enjoy the car and use the seat that you really want to sit in yourself. If you ever sell the car, leave it to the buyer to solve.
    Seats can't devalue the car more than a few $100 bucks.

+ the "comfort seats" aren't really that comfortable
    Tony

For many of the past decades, it seemed like all cars had sports seats. Far, far more than left the factory. In fact I had a hard time finding good pictures of the comfort seats when restoring mine because virtually all sources (including the show your seats thread here) had something other than comfort seats. Certainly keep the original seats safely in a cool, dry place and enjoy whatever seats you want. I used to yearn for a set of sports seats, but since they aren't original to the car, which is now approaching concours level, I think I'll actually get a nice set of repro seats from someone like vintageseats.com if I find my comfort seats not comfortable. So far no complaints. I have the drivers one set up in my den and I sit on it for hours on end with no issues.
    Early 911S Registry # 2395
    1973 Porsche 911S in ivory white 5sp MT
    2015 Porsche Macan S in agate grey 7sp PDK