Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: And Speaking of 'Affordable' . . .

And Speaking of 'Affordable' . . .

. . . . bye-bye Dino . . .

'74 246GTS, US version, purple = $341k
    http://www.goodingco.com/vehicle/197...ino-246-gts-4/

'72 246GTB, US version, red = $627k
    http://www.goodingco.com/vehicle/197...dino-246-gt-4/

'69 206GT, 1 of 153, red = $638k
    http://www.goodingco.com/vehicle/196...i-dino-206-gt/
    Attached Images Attached Images

We Can Be Heroes

That red 206 was mine around mid 1985... I bought it for $9,500. It was faster and more fun then my 246GTS because it was alloy (lighter) but very noisy inside.

Coulda, Shouda, Woulda kept it, but it was flipped.

Not totally stupid. Still have the 246GTS

The violet one wasn't a great car.

The gt has really closed the gap on the gts.

While we are having discussions about bubbles I have been coming into contact with people buying multiples, some guy has bought 6 Dino's over the last year, another guy who wants to buy every GTE that comes up for sale. I don't know what any of this means but I can't see it as a good or natural thing. When cars are not really being bought as cars but as financial instruments everything is just really f'd up. On one hand, I don't care, but on the other hand that old trope - it's not the cars it's the people - that's said around the car hobby will have to be retired because it certainly won't be the people when it becomes just a bunch of hoarders.
    1970 911S
    1963 Abarth Monomille
    1974 2002 Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by yale View Post
    When cars are not really being bought as cars but as financial instruments ...
    Everything is a financial...
    Slate Gray, Red Leather, 1968 912 HWT

member #1515
    Quote Originally Posted by Barwaut View Post
    That is a very cynical view of the world.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

Yale,

If you stumbled upon a garage with (3) nice 911S Coupes and the seller had no idea about the recent market value and was asking $20,000 each. How many of the cars would you buy?

I think that some people see the value of classic cars continuing to skyrocket because of the change in the world markets... About twenty five years ago people in Japan were buying everything, Cars , Art, Real Estate. Now you have Russia, China, India and several Eastern European countries where they have become capitalists and are making huge amounts of money and they want what we want...

Limited supply vs. Large demand = Increase in perceived value.

So some of the smart money guys are investing in a strong tangible asset... Vintage Cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Barwaut View Post
    Cynical and also pointless. To say 'everything is financial' is both obvious and so broad as to be meaningless. Would you prefer I rephrase what I said to be - when the motivation to buy a car is not primarily to enjoy the car but instead as mostly a hedge...

I have never bought a car as an investment. And I bet the same could be said of many others here. That idea never entered my mind and was not an expectation.
    1970 911S
    1963 Abarth Monomille
    1974 2002 Turbo

Malibu it's not a garage full of $10,000 dollar cars here that's being bought. It's $500,000 cars that have already doubled in value fairly recently. So it's speculation not based on much more then a guess and the fact that Dino's, GTE's and 330's are all under a million, still. It's really a garage full of $300,000 1973 911S's, and yes I know someone is asking that much for one at the moment. We have already been to 1989 haven't we?
    1970 911S
    1963 Abarth Monomille
    1974 2002 Turbo

People keep talking about demand from the BRIC countries, but I wonder how much demand there really is for old 911s. Tastes differ. Think Bollywood vs Hollywood. In North America we bemoan every car that gets bought and shipped back to the fatherland, but how many actually go further.

When Gooding, RM and others start auctions in Mumbai or Shanghai, then I'll be convinced.
    Early 911S Registry # 2395
    1973 Porsche 911S in ivory white 5sp MT
    2015 Porsche Macan S in agate grey 7sp PDK