Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New F1 culture/rules

nemo me impune lacessit Kris Clewell's Avatar

New F1 culture/rules

What do you guys think of the new rules? And the first race?
    -Kris Clewell

Professional photojournalist

red decklid club member #1

Are we limited in the total volume of words used and the rate at which we we use them?

Quote Originally Posted by CurtEgerer View Post
    Are we limited in the total volume of words used and the rate at which we we use them?
    Type slowly please or you'll be banned.

I dont understand why the fuel rate was restricted. Why cant they use the fuel in the tank at whatever rate they please?
    -Kris Clewell

Good question-it bit Red Bull today.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital K View Post

I dont understand why the fuel rate was restricted. Why cant they use the fuel in the tank at whatever rate they please?
    Controlling fuel volume and flow just tightens control over the combustion engine and its overall role in the power delivery. In the new formula's hybrid system, volume is the fence, flow is the leash.

If I can burn fuel at a faster rate than the next guy, I have found a way to overcome aero drag and potentially create more power from traditional sources.

It's just a statement that the energy recovery systems and aero packages will be where the development is going forward. This formula is more R&D for the future for these manufacturer's as they look to develop next gen powertrain for production cars.

I sure miss the sound of the old ones!

1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

&^^((*&($&#^@@*!^*#&^$*@##!!!!!!^^^*#

One more Motorsport ruined by rules. Let the "Prius type cars" take car of this crap.

Racing should be about the guy who has the balls to go "once more into the void". They are turning racing into a friggin' game
    won by the guy who plays with the switches and buttons for an advantage.
    You've taken the driver out of the equation.

A friend who worked for Gulfstream told me this afternoon, "if you can push the right buttons in the correct sequence, you too could be a pilot".

Rally racing and motorcycle racing are still the guys that have the biggest balls of all.

At least Hemingway would be happy to know we still have Bull Fighting and Mountaineering.
    “There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.”'
    Ernest Hemingway
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Quote Originally Posted by beh911 View Post
    Controlling fuel volume and flow just tightens control over the combustion engine and its overall role in the power delivery. In the new formula's hybrid system, volume is the fence, flow is the leash.

If I can burn fuel at a faster rate than the next guy, I have found a way to overcome aero drag and potentially create more power from traditional sources.

It's just a statement that the energy recovery systems and aero packages will be where the development is going forward. This formula is more R&D for the future for these manufacturer's as they look to develop next gen powertrain for production cars.

I sure miss the sound of the old ones!
    Stupid. That should just be a biproduct of the quantity of fuel allowed to be used for the duration of the race. How they use it should be up to the race team.

Also not sure how I feel about the "sound" of these things. I like the "experience" of watching, but the cars man.... not as cool.
    -Kris Clewell

Three things I thought were interesting-

-For all the talk of how different the spec is this year, Red Bull and Mercedes were still on top. Doesn't bode well for a radically different season.

-No discussion of tires at all! That dominated the season last year. So many other things for the teams to learn in these early races.

-Magnussen!

As I understand it, the electric boost is twice as powerful and can be used five times as long each lap. What I don't know is how much of that boost is run by the software and how much the driver controls it.

The sound...pretty bad, I suppose, but nothing we can do about it.
    Todd
    '71T 3.2 Spec 911 #806
    '69 BMW E9 Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Digital K View Post
    Stupid. That should just be a biproduct of the quantity of fuel allowed to be used for the duration of the race. How they use it should be up to the race team.

Also not sure how I feel about the "sound" of these things. I like the "experience" of watching, but the cars man.... not as cool.
    The idea was actually proposed years ago by Keith Duckworth (one of the men behind the Cosworth DFV- He's the "worth" in Cosworth). He did not include the total fuel used limit, though. Only the rate. Controlling the rate of fuel use controls the power. It drives the team to make the engine more efficient so that they can make more power from the same flow rate of fuel (brake specific fuel consumption).

The reason he did not like a total fuel limit is that it results in cars slowing to a crawl near the end to save fuel, or running slower than they could. Which is why Group C did not work. If you can use as much total fuel as you need, but limit the rate you use it at, then you are controlling the horsepower while allowing the drivers to go for it the entire race distance.

I think the reason FIA is using a total limit as well is so that you don't have things like the blown diffusers- using fuel at times you normally wouldn't in order to make downforce or something. But maybe I am wrong. They took care of the blown diffusers with the exhaust pipe rules.
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

hypothetical question, but why not just give manufacturers a displacement, cylinder quantity, an induction type, and in this case an electric motor torque spec, and just see what they can do?
    -Kris Clewell