Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New F1 culture/rules

Quote Originally Posted by Digital K View Post
    hypothetical question, but why not just give manufacturers a displacement, cylinder quantity, an induction type, and in this case an electric motor torque spec, and just see what they can do?
    Fuel flow restriction is an easier (by which I mean direct) method to control horsepower. It would allow V12, V10, V8, V6, Flat 6, Flat 4,... anything, any size to compete on equal terms. Even turbo and non-turbo. But the FIA is not making full use of it, because they want everyone to think that the 1.6 liter turbo 4 in their hybrid city car is exactly like a 1.6 liter turbo V6 formula 1 engine (Ferrari would not stand for an inline 4 even though they made their Monza models in the past).

They don't want another spending race, or another Can-Am with horsepower and speeds climbing beyond what tracks can handle.
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

nemo me impune lacessit Kris Clewell's Avatar
    meh....... they may not want that, but I do.
    -Kris Clewell

Professional photojournalist

red decklid club member #1

2014-f1-ers.jpg

As an engineer, I prefer the simplicity of an all-electric formula (2 components: battery and motor) if the goal is to make F1 a political statement on fuel efficiency, which is what the FIA are doing. This system they're running now is the CFL light bulb of propulsion systems (i.e., take something simple and time-proven and make it uber-complicated, less reliable, more expensive, and with diminished final results).
    Incandescent Bulb Diagram.gifCFL.jpg

Wow, I never knew that was inside CFLs. But I must say, I've never had to change a CFL bulb. Still have the one I bought about 6 years ago.
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

Quote Originally Posted by Flieger View Post
    They don't want another spending race, or another Can-Am with horsepower and speeds climbing beyond what tracks can handle.
    When men were men. Saw a McLaren at Amelia. 1400 pounds, 650- 700 hp. Looked like fun. ONLY a FOOL would drive the car beyond the limits of the track. A "DRIVER" will take it all into account and do what is logical to save the machine and himself to race another day. Darwin should take care of the rest, preferably, before they do harm to others.

'These young punks don't have no respect.' WWPWD?

Tom
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

I can only imagine the batteries required to run wide open for 60 laps and a few hours. Maybe they could be additionally powered by boredom and complacency.
    -Kris Clewell

"A "DRIVER" will take it all into account and do what is logical to save the machine and himself to race another day. Darwin should take care of the rest, preferably, before they do harm to others."

Have you watched Danica Patrick lately? Here's a fun vid with a collection of comments about her driving.

Seriously though the fastest drivers have no fear. Especially the young ones.

Richard Newton

everyone has fear. we all just have different thresholds.
    -Kris Clewell

+1 Kris

And yes; Richard Petty pretty well summed Danica up.
    Sorry for all the drivers sans T&A with no ride but blessed with talent.
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Quote Originally Posted by Flieger View Post
    Wow, I never knew that was inside CFLs. But I must say, I've never had to change a CFL bulb. Still have the one I bought about 6 years ago.
    The diagram for a CFL looks eerily similar to the 2014 F1 propulsion system
    cfl-schematic.jpg

As a side note: I've actually had 3 CFLs catch fire. That is their mode of failure: overheating of the circuitboard (as opposed to simply severing a filament wire which immediately cuts off the electric current in an incandescent). It melts the plastic housing and turns it brown, but since there are no actual flames the CPSC considers them to be OK If you ever smell burning plastic inside your house, check the CFLs first. If the white plastic housings are turning yellow or brown, they have been overheating.