Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2014 Porsche GT3

Unhappy 2014 Porsche GT3

I have a new GT3 on order. It was supposed be delivered this week. Porsche has been holding the car. Today I received this email:

Dear Mr. _______:
    As advised previously, engineers at Porsche AG have been conducting technical analysis of the Porsche 911 GT3 engine in order to find a solution to the problem which led us to recommend you stop driving your car.
    This analysis is now completed, and we would like to inform you about the cause of the problem and the planned remedial actions.
    As already communicated, two vehicles in Europe suffered engine damage, causing the vehicles to catch fire.
    Analysis has revealed that in both cases the engine damage was caused by a loosened piston rod screw connection which damaged the crankcase. In order to avoid this in the future, an optimized screw connection is currently being tested. For the final validation of this solution, Porsche AG is currently carrying out extensive tests.
    At Porsche we are rigorous when implementing an engineering solution, therefore, after the successful testing and validation we will be installing new engines with optimized piston rod screw connections in all 2014 Porsche 911 GT3 vehicles.
    Due to the complexity of the necessary arrangement, we are currently unable to provide you with a specific workshop date for your Porsche 911 GT3. We will be arranging an appointment with you individually, as soon as the logistics planning is finalized. We will be providing you with additional information within the next three weeks.
    We continue to remain committed to supporting your individual needs during this time. Your personal contact person will make contact with you within the next days to discuss individual solutions to bridge the gap until you are reunited with your Porsche 911 GT3.
    Thank you very much for your patience and your loyalty to the Porsche brand.
    Kind regards,

Tim Quinn
    Vice President, AfterSales
    Porsche Cars North America, Inc.
    1967 Porsche 911S (R Clone)
    1969 Porsche 911T
    2014 Porsche GT3

Gimme the Metzger anytime. Run Forest......Run!!!!
    2004 GT3 Carrara White with a few mods...
    2011 987.2 Spyder White, LWB's, 6 speed... Crazy Fun!!!

R #208
    S #607
    A #76

Banned
    Loosened piston rod screw leading to fire?
    Perhaps they should do their "rigorous engineering" in the development stage? Before the cars leave the factory.

What has happened to our beloved company?

Xavier Petit-Jean-Boret Xavier PJB's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Beck View Post
    Perhaps they should do their "rigorous engineering" in the development stage? Before the cars leave the factory.

It is gone Franck, as well as the engineers it seems.
    X
    O-G 26 - Early911S 2407

They are all working for Honda now...

Xavier Petit-Jean-Boret Xavier PJB's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Olivier View Post
    They are all working for Honda now...
    and Toyota in the UAE according to the thread : RS 73 in Dubai :-)
    O-G 26 - Early911S 2407

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Beck View Post

I think I need to let this settle out some more before making a judgement... Yea, this is not good, but unquestionably, the new GT3 is an incredible machine. I would love to own one at some point.
    I still don't know for sure if this was a design defect, materials defect, or assembly defect. Either way, not good, but I don't think its unprecedented. A better measure of the company in my view will be the extent to which they stand behind the product and their customers. In that regard, I am hoping the low point for Porsche was how they handled the m86/m96 debacle.
    ds

There are 189 pages and counting on Rennlist regarding this matter.

My guess is a torque spec. failure or a batch of bad hardware. They ran the dog snot out of these with no issues. It's a shame they didn't catch it. Probably a mole from Ferrari who wanted someone else to have a fire or two.

You'll get a good engine.

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

More seriously, I ask the same question than Frank...

loosened screw>rod cap through the case>oil spilling on hot exhaust>fire????

Very curious to learn the truth...

Quote Originally Posted by sithot View Post
    There are 189 pages and counting on Rennlist regarding this matter.

My guess is a torque spec. failure or a batch of bad hardware. They ran the dog snot out of these with no issues. It's a shame they didn't catch it. Probably a mole from Ferrari who wanted someone else to have a fire or two.

You'll get a good engine.

Tom
    I agree. It must be a bad batch of hardware. You know they ran it on the Nordschleife, Sweeden, Death Valley, etc. Put it through torture testing on the dyno. If it was a bad design they would have found it then.
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425