Thread: Very Early 912 Barn Find

Very Early 912 Barn Find

Hi I also posted this on the 912 board and I guess I'll put it on Pelican too. The purpose of my posting is to ask some advice.

A friend of mine has found a true barn find - one of the very first 912's ever built. A little old widow lady who wants it moved. The car is rough and sadly missing the engine. But when I say it is early, I mean early, as in only a few numbers off of 450001.

How should he proceed? He was thinking originally to buy it as a parts car until he discovered the s/n. I suggested to him it may now have much more significance than just a parts car. But I am not into the 912 world so can't advise him further.

Oh, one other thing - is there such a thing as a 4 gauge dash? I have heard of a 3 and of course a 5, but a 4?

Thanks in advance,

Forget considering parting it out. Contact Porsche, find out from them the original specification of the car via a CoA and then you can fill in some gaps in it's story/makeup. Any early car is desirable and this likely will make an enjoyable (and expensive to restore) project for someone.

Cheers
    '65 901 SA '119' - 1st RHD Customer Delivered 911 Worldwide; 5710 Stone Grey/Green Leatherette 3 owners from new.

'75 (Nov) 924 Group 4 Rallye. 9th o/all, 1st in class ‘79 Repco Round Australia Rally Barth/Kussmaul; 1st RHD chassis, 1st front engined Porsche to win an FIA event

‘78 928 Manual - early RHD Opalmetallic (gold) + Pasha

'98 986

‘99 996 GT3 CS M003 ex Peter Fitzgerald. Falken livery. 2nd 2000, 3rd in 2001 Aus Nations Cup Championsip. Last of the road registered racers

I think that is going to be the plan. First secure the car then he will call Porsche. I wish I could divulge the vin but he specifically asked me to defer that for a day or so. A few more pix:

Last edited by luke-44; 03-19-2014 at 05:44 PM.

Neat find --- I see houndstooth!! Looks like it was blue at some point. It will be exciting to remove that vinyl from the dash where the gauges are to see what color the painted dash is..

The deal has now been finalized and 450013 will be going to its new home in Aachen Germany. We believe it is the second oldest 912 known to be in existence.

Nice! Current owner since 1976...

Yes, sadly the owner passed away last month and left the car as it was in the garage. Hence the sale by the widow.

He just never "got around to it".

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by luke-44 View Post
    Hence the sale by the widow.
    I'm afraid this is all of our fate.

Check out the fuel filler pull- '64 911 style.

Interesting car. Can you post additional photos please?