Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did very early '67S come with "E" type cams and IDE carbs?

Did very early '67S come with "E" type cams and IDE carbs?

I am speaking to an owner of a very early production 1967S which he has had for a long time.
    This car has Webber IDE carbs and "E" type cams which he swears is original to the car.

Is this correct on the very early cars?

Probably not.

I would need to see proof rather than his lip service.

Hi
    has he obtained the Kardex, this is why it would be nice to be able to receive the build sheet on a car.
    Bret

It should have IDA carbs with a letter S stamped on the back side of the carbs. You can see that with a little mirror when the engine is in the car. Don't know at what car they switched to IDS carbs...

Erik

Confirmation of IDA-S carbs

Just to close the loop on this I have received confirmation that the very early '67S engines did indeed come with a Weber IDA with the "S" stamped on it.
    The specs are almost identical to the IDS except for the jet sizes. They switched to the IDS carbs starting with engine # 960502.

Now if we could confirm what camshafts these engines came with. Anybody have any insight into this?

Name:  Early 67S weber info.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  61.1 KB

So, there's really no scenario where there would have been 'E' cams in an early '67S.
    E stands for "einspritzer" AKA fuel injected. Since the fuel injected cars weren't in production for about 2 years.... It's kinda unlikely that you'd have original fuel injection cams (with the MFI drive boss on the cam end) installed as original equipment in an early '67S normally aspirated car.
    What's more likely is that the current owner isn't as obsessed with details as many EarlyS forum members and is mistaken in his recollection that theses are original to the car.
    E911SR & RGRUPPE
    '65 911 "The Ol' Gal" (long gone)
    '73 S Coupe #306

OMG. You found it!!! Your "friend" has the long lost 'S' prototype 1-of-1 factory test mule with "E" cams that weren't available until '69.!! Really, I swear, it's 100% original:
    Knock it off already. C'mon, how old are you?

p.s, I have '67S 960029, pretty early: IDA w/ "S" stamp, no "E" cams……..sheesh!

Quote Originally Posted by LeftFootBraker View Post
    I am speaking to an owner of a very early production 1967S which he has had for a long time.
    This car has Webber IDE carbs and "E" type cams which he swears is original to the car.

Is this correct on the very early cars?
    Brian
    S Reg #1032

"I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"

Quote Originally Posted by Silverbullit View Post
    OMG. You found it!!! Your "friend" has the long lost 'S' prototype 1-of-1 factory test mule with "E" cams that weren't available until '69.!! Really, I swear, it's 100% original:
    Knock it off already. C'mon, how old are you?

p.s, I have '67S 960029, pretty early: IDA w/ "S" stamp, no "E" cams……..sheesh!
    I believe what he was expressing was that the cams were not the same as the cams that came with the IDS carbs - more like a milder E type configuration perhaps?
    He was aware they weren't literally from fuel injected E motor. This is why I poorly stated "E" type cams in my initial post.
    Sorry for any confusion on that point.

Brian - thanks for confirmation of the carbs you have on your early motor. Have you ever seen the cams in that motor?

BTW - I'm 60 and have only been involved with early 911's for a short time so please excuse my ignorance.

Some pics from an early car 305328S (engine #960043)

Name:  Carbs 305328S_1.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  129.7 KB

Name:  Carbs 305328S_2.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  125.8 KB

Name:  Carbs 305328S_3.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  157.9 KB

Fun fact: My spare engine #960568 is pretty close to the change at 502. It has IDS carbs as it should, but also the extra "S" stamped in the back. So I guess this continued for a short while after the change.

Name:  Weber IDS 3.JPG
Views: 186
Size:  82.8 KB

Name:  Weber IDS 1.JPG
Views: 142
Size:  73.8 KB
    S-Reg #1382
    67S Lavender
    70S Silver, original Slate Gray Japan delivery