Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sure way to Offend the purists

Sure way to Offend the purists

The first 911 to ever make into a LeMons race without a huge amount of penalty laps.
    How do you do that? You buy a rolled 911SC and swap the 3 liter 911 engine for a mid 90s Diesel engine out of a Jetta.
    This car makes our 914 with a 2.0 Jetta gas engine seem almost ordinary.

Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very cool. And even cooler if it could pull a trailer with another Porsche on it.
    Chris

nemo me impune lacessit Kris Clewell's Avatar
    man thats ugly, but no way is that thing not more than 500$. A tdi engine is not cheap. The engine is from a 1998. its a 1.9TDI motor. They go for quite a bit all day long on craigslist. Plus the cost of a porsche chassis?

I call bullshit.
    -Kris Clewell

Professional photojournalist

red decklid club member #1

Quote Originally Posted by Digital K View Post
    man thats ugly, but no way is that thing not more than 500$. A tdi engine is not cheap. The engine is from a 1998. its a 1.9TDI motor. They go for quite a bit all day long on craigslist. Plus the cost of a porsche chassis?

I call bullshit.
    This is what the team that built the car knew would happen.
    The organizers looked very carefully at all the stuff put into this car and concluded that it did meet the $500.00 rule. The Team's documentation was very detailed and the organizers actually named it their "Organizer's Choice". The car did cost considerably more than $500.00 but the cost can be reduced by selling parts off the car to reduce the actual cash outlay to $500.00 or less. The organizers do not hold hard and fast to the $500.00 when the build is something epic or something that just shouldn't be done in the first place.
    In actuality, the car was butt terrible and hopelessly slow but it did survive and will race again.
    It was fun being pitted next to these guys. We concluded that the organizers just wanted to keep all the Jetta powered Porsches in the same vacinity.

Regards

Jim

The organizers are idiots then. Just because you "Get" something for that much money doesnt make it okay. a TDI motor is worth quite a bit of money. I'm not offended, the car was obviously a POS to begin with, but things just dont add up to me. If I buy a s52 from an m3 for a dollar can I put it in there?

" The organizers do not hold hard and fast to the $500.00 when the build is something epic or something that just shouldn't be done in the first place."

sounds like a great way to have a really solid, competitive, and fair race environment....?
    -Kris Clewell

The organizers are far from idiots. They know exactly what they are doing and nobody can pull the wool over their eyes. They cry bullshit a lot. Ask the team that showed up with a BMW M3 claiming that it cost $500.00. They were issued a 10,000 lap penalty! They did get to race, though.

Ciao

Jim

Well it worked at the DMV when they paid the sales tax!!!
    65 356SC Dolphin Gray
    66 912 Green
    69 911E Tangerine
    72 911T GP White
    72 911T Aubergine
    72 911T Lilac
    72 911S Black (voodoo)
    86 911 GP White Targa (now sons)
    90 964C4 Black Targa
    94 964C2 Black Coupe
    08 GT3 Speed Yellow

Really liked the graphic on the front hood

They really look like they don't take themselves too seriously. And it's great!

Olivier

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Breazeale View Post
    The organizers are far from idiots. They know exactly what they are doing and nobody can pull the wool over their eyes. They cry bullshit a lot. Ask the team that showed up with a BMW M3 claiming that it cost $500.00. They were issued a 10,000 lap penalty! They did get to race, though.

Ciao

Jim

okay. all I know is tdi motors are valuable.
    -Kris Clewell

Quote Originally Posted by Digital K View Post
    okay. all I know is tdi motors are valuable.
    Yea, but if one shows up at your local Pick and Pull, you can score one for cheap.