Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: This, if done ok, makes the will to sink the $ and time into a resto be tested...

This could be good value if done ok, and is solid?

Last edited by JulianG; 04-03-2014 at 03:21 AM. Reason: Clarity

Allowing for the fact that I am a bit slow , what do you mean Julian?
    I may go to see this on the weekend.

Chris, it's probably me being obtuse! - it's seems like good value if it's ok, particularly compared to the time and dollars I/we sink into projects to get them to this spec - just makes me think there is an easier/cheaper way - ie buy something like this instead....
    Cheers
    Julian

Sorry I wasn't sure either ??
    Andrew B (Tiger)
    911 69E Historic Production Race Car

Yeah I understand what you are saying, my take on it is that the devil (in this case substitute large amounts of cash) is in the detail.
    This is probably a fine example, but is it at the level that you or I might be aiming at with our cars? I'll get back to you on that.

At the end of the day it depends on what you want and what your budget is. Originality vs driver, left vs right vs converted.

This car looks nice but take a look in person, then you can really tell. That applies to all cars not just this one.

Personally i'd start with a checklist of what you want, then see if it ticks the boxes, rather than shoe horning a car into what you want..
    If its originality, work out what's not correct and if that bothers you and what it will cost to make good. Also consider when you might do the correction. Ive got the wrong motor in my blue car and I'm going too live with that because I like it. You might like the 915 box in this one ??

When you own one you will learn a lot more and if you've done your homework you will be happy.

I think its easier if you buy one that has the things that are hard to source or do, done already. This may or may not tick your boxes.

Just m,y thoughts after buying a few, have they been correct ? No often more driven by emotion…… good luck !
    Andrew B (Tiger)
    911 69E Historic Production Race Car

Just my 2c, but I couldn't live with a cut and shut like that. See the radio on the RHS of the steering wheel. I would have to fix this as it would irritate my OCD every time I got in and remind me that the lhd to rhd conversion was not done properly. For that money I would like to see a more professional job done on the conversion. If corners where cut there, you know they were elsewhere.

Doing a full conversion with the correct parts its a very big job, but should be virtually impossible to tell.

There are better RHD and LHD cars that haven't been tampered with IMHO.
    Tim Pritchard

1970 911S (resto underway) http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ge-1970S-resto
    1976 Carrera 3.0 Group Sc Race Car
    1969 911T Group Sb Race Car (Sold to a good home)

Quote Originally Posted by timgt3 View Post
    Just my 2c, but I couldn't live with a cut and shut like that. See the radio on the RHS of the steering wheel. I would have to fix this as it would irritate my OCD every time I got in and remind me that the lhd to rhd conversion was not done properly. For that money I would like to see a more professional job done on the conversion. If corners where cut there, you know they were elsewhere.

Doing a full conversion with the correct parts its a very big job, but should be virtually impossible to tell.

There are better RHD and LHD cars that haven't been tampered with IMHO.
    Nailed it.
    Cheers, Ryan

Founder and chief centre cap remover at : ZOLLHAUS / Design driven custom PORSCHE : https://zoll.haus

Julian has two early 9 series cars needing work

There is absolutely no question a fully built car works out far cheaper for the second owner. All that effort/labour getting a car 'right' is never recovered. However I 100% agree that whatever you go with has to be what you can live with, that includes colour/engine spec/left or right hook etc...
    John Forcier
    EarlyS #1987
    1968 911 Race Car "Grun Hilda"
    1969 S/T interpretation "Blau Healer"
    Restoration Saga

Quote Originally Posted by obrut View Post
    Nailed it.
    +1

.... as long as one goes in with eyes open I suppose ....

.... as a rally car, the new owner would want to be very sure of the conversion before putting his/her life on the line ...
    Paul

1969 ex-South African RHD Tangerine 911T . 1970 ex-Southern Californian LHD Conda 911T 1955 Series 1 86" Land Rover (original Australian CKD … very slowly re-building) 1987 W124 230e
    (long term paid up member)