Thread: vintage momo leather patina

vintage momo leather patina

As since early discussions with Mark Morrissey and other expert members, about the vintage original momo wheels, from mid 60's pre logo PAT MOMO up to the 1st generation late 60's mo-mo stacked logo; and from early 70's momo extended logo up to the late 70's dated momo extended logo, I'm in the challenge to collect fully original leather pieces, in the mission to preserve their "patina", opaque black and, in the really rarest cases,"brownish" , typical of the oldest mo-mo in best possible appeal.
    If founding a leather crown having mostly broken or missing parts (for the erliest wheels age maybe up to almost 50 years old) of course it will be necessary a recovery using a proper matt black leather, as used by early momo factory, and a proper stitching by a qualified handcraft work here in Italy.
    If the crown is luckily preserved, or just with minor scratches or some cracked parts, it will be possible to restore it at the best, hiding the slightly damaged portions.
    About the finishing of the crown, following many tests, I've studied a special treatment for cleaning and preserve the vintage "patina". This treatment requests a patient work but the results are really encorauging and I've pleasure to take this my experience, at disposal for every help I could give to collectors having care of their after market leather steering wheels fitting their early 911. The pics are refering to the still wet phase of the treatment, with the wheels in drying wait.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by ribachio; 04-07-2014 at 03:43 PM.

Ric - Please clear your PM box.
    Cheers, Ryan

Founder and chief centre cap remover at : ZOLLHAUS / Design driven custom PORSCHE : https://zoll.haus

And use a better camera!
    John Forcier
    EarlyS #1987
    1968 911 Race Car "Grun Hilda"
    1969 S/T interpretation "Blau Healer"
    Restoration Saga

My name and the word 'expert' should be far enough apart so that a 4-wide row of Peterbilts can safely pass between them.
    I have a website now:
    www.markmorrissey.org

Instagram: @Mark0Morrissey

Quote Originally Posted by Fishcop View Post
    And use a better camera!
    I apologize for poor quality images by a damn iphone cam. I'll do better...

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Morrissey View Post
    My name and the word 'expert' should be far enough apart so that a 4-wide row of Peterbilts can safely pass between them.
    hello Mark! I hope you agree your "nomination" here as I thank you so much for inspiring me with confidence and reciprocal respect

Quote Originally Posted by obrut View Post
    Ric - Please clear your PM box.
    ok now it should work again Thanks !

mo-mo monza original leather treatment working process

The final phase of special treatment and finishing for a mo-mo monza 355mm and his large crest horn-button after restore work