Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: MFI warm start issue

I don't think ethanol is the only issue causing problems because I've been using 90 Oct non-ethanol for yrs.. I think all gas today is less volatile or less explosive than 40 yrs ago. I remember 40 yrs ago if you spilled gas on the garage floor it would evaporate faster than you could wipe it up. Now gas seems to linger around longer.

My car starts great when sitting overnight, even in a warm garage in summer(with the hand throttle pulled up). It also starts great on hot starts(pedal to floor) when sitting for 1 hour or less. My problem is when sitting after a hot run and the car sits for 2 to 3 hours, then the car cranks for quite awhile(5 to 6 seconds) no matter what position the pedal is in.

I don't consider 5-6 seconds a long crank under those conditions! And I think you're right on the gas, I've read the same thing regards the 'reid vapor pressure'.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Quote Originally Posted by edmayo View Post
    Well lets say that I never saw the sticker on the pump that we have indicating 10% ethanol. And a local told me you guys don't have ethanol!
    Interesting. Every pump I've seen says it may contain up to 10% ethanol. You must have really been out in the sticks.
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

[QUOTE=2.5MFI;725863]
    Quote Originally Posted by Boulder Bob View Post
    The fuel system does not need to hold fuel pressure between the MFI pump and electric pump like the CIS system does when the engine is not running. The electric fuel pump in the MFI cars does this. Your check valve/connector (901 110 915 00) on the fuel filter console is the valve that keeps some fuel (not under pressure) in the lines between the MFI pump and filter console after the engine is turned off from draining back into the fuel tank. That valve/connector is the return fuel line back to the tank along with the electric fuel pump via a tee. If that check valve was leaking I think it would just add a few seconds of the electric fuel pump running to build it's pressure up. The actual fuel pressure relief valve is on the electric fuel pump.
    thanks for this helpful answer
    73 911S Targa

Quote Originally Posted by Flieger View Post
    Interesting. Every pump I've seen says it may contain up to 10% ethanol. You must have really been out in the sticks.
    Well, Modesto, Barstow, Bakersfield, Needles,,,,is that the sticks??
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Quote Originally Posted by edmayo View Post
    Well, Modesto, Barstow, Bakersfield, Needles,,,,is that the sticks??
    For someone living in the LA basin, yes.

But anyway we certainly do put ethanol in the fuel here. I think the easiest way to get non-ethanol is buy 100 octane from 76. There is one in Agoura and one in Corona del Mar at least that sell it, unleaded I assume. But it is about twice the price of 87 octane E10.

My car came with the manual override button on the dash. Actually I prefer it that way because I can enrich the gas anytime I feel it is necessary temperature wise and do not worry that the original valve would ever stick open and overflow onto my hot engine and start a fire. I think these kits are still around to install to your fuel system. Chris
    1. Chris-Early S Registry#205
    2. '70 911S Tangerine
    3. '68 911L Euro Ossi Blue

picture???
    keith
    '75 RS/RSR-look | '73 CB750 | '70 TD250B

r gruppe # 436

Quote Originally Posted by bliebler View Post
    I don't think ethanol is the only issue causing problems because I've been using 90 Oct non-ethanol for yrs.. I think all gas today is less volatile or less explosive than 40 yrs ago. I remember 40 yrs ago if you spilled gas on the garage floor it would evaporate faster than you could wipe it up. Now gas seems to linger around longer.

My car starts great when sitting overnight, even in a warm garage in summer(with the hand throttle pulled up). It also starts great on hot starts(pedal to floor) when sitting for 1 hour or less. My problem is when sitting after a hot run and the car sits for 2 to 3 hours, then the car cranks for quite awhile(5 to 6 seconds) no matter what position the pedal is in.
    The topic of the evaporation of todays gas vs the gas of the 60's/70's came up yesterday. I told everyone a story my Father told when he was in the Philippines. When they were able to get their hands on beer, they would pour gas on their duffle bag and spin it around their heads. The gas would evaporate(like the chill after the swimming pool) and it would cool the beer. I wonder it that would work with todays gas?

I think it would work better if they used vodka instead of gasoline.