Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sunroof repair

Sunroof repair

I have a sunroof that doesn't want to move from its closed position.

The motor whirrs so I'm asuming its a cable issue. I note there is a right and left cable - does anyone know which side cable acts to open and which one closes the roof?

I'd like to buy the parts in advance but at a couple of hundred bucks per cable I'd rather just order the side I'm likely to need.

Cheers
    Looking for engine # 6208151
    '74 RS 3.0 Replica
    '70 911E Bahia Red (SOLD)
    '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 Twin plug BEAST (SOLD)
    Australian TYP 901 Register #78
    Early S Registry # 1076

Unzip the headliner and take a look in there.

There are (at least) two other potential causes, both more likely in my opinion. And easier to fix!

First there will be a short 2" flexible drive coupling from the motor to the gearbox. This could be snapped or have twisted off.

Second take out the small triangular gearbox. It is held on with 2 small slotted screws IIRC. The drive cog that operates in the slots in the cable could be broken, or worn out, or the cables have just 'jumped the rails' in some way.

Start here would be my advice, especially as I can think of no way to get the cables out until the roof is open.

Good luck. Hope this is of some use.

Mick

Oh and you should be able to easily turn the flexible coupling with your fingers. Doing so in the right direction will slowly open the roof. If it doesn't turn then likely something is jammed, if it turns and the roof doesn't move then either both cables are broken ( if only one was broken it would still open the roof) or the gear drive cog is broken or the cables are not meshing with the drive.

Mick

Thanks for the tips I'll have crack at it over the weekend.

Cheers
    '74 RS 3.0 Replica
    Early S Registry # 1076

…. and what result?

Try and get one of these for your toolkit. It will help to diagnose the problem and be your emergency friend in case of future problems (usually in the middle of nowhere in a torrential storm).

Regards
    Mike
    RS#1551(sold)
    67S
    73E (home after 25 years) and sold again
    Early S reg. #681

I haven't had the chance to take a look yet! Hopefully the next few days.

Thanks Mike I'll keep my eye out for one of those! We get about a metre and a half of rain here every year in around a 5 month period so its bloody torrential alright!

Do they have a special name or just sunroof tool?
    '74 RS 3.0 Replica
    Early S Registry # 1076

Yep, Sunroof tool.

Regards
    Mike
    RS#1551(sold)
    67S
    73E (home after 25 years) and sold again
    Early S reg. #681

I finally got the chance to have a dig around tonight.

The flexible connection piece is OK.

Using my newly purchased sunroof tool I could see that the drive cog was turning and I could see the end of the cables moving from where they poke out of the ends of the straight section of tube at the end of their travel.

I can wind in one direction with no result. The other direction it starts to bind up. A few clunks but no movement.

I'm assuming the cables may have pulled out of the end 'bits' at the front of the slider mechanism.

Does this sound like I'm on track? Not sure what to do from here…..?

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    '74 RS 3.0 Replica
    Early S Registry # 1076