Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sellers new to this forum

Banned

Sellers new to this forum

A '73 911S was recently advertised here by a new poster. The thread generated quite of bit of discussion which has brought up another discussion (I'm confident this is not a "new" topic but I do think it's time to revisit it).

All online communities have a subculture that makes them who they are. This determines the "feel" and "tone" of conversation. There will always be controversy as to how warm and welcoming we are in regard to new people. This is determined by our personal traits and how we engage and interact with others in our other areas of life. This forum is nothing more than a microcosm of the world we live in. Individually we are important independent members that make up a larger entity. The main rule for governing conversation is mutual respect for one another. The moment we begin to steer the community toward our individual natural tendencies and style is when we're going to have problems. As we move more toward an egalitarian society men seem to forget what they're supposed to act like. We were designed to fight battles, die for causes, and wrestle things out with one another. (I acknowledge that there are women in this community but it can't be more than 2%?). We will bloody each other's noses on occasion but we also better be willing to shake hands after the contest!

Here's the problem: People are confusing criticism with disrespect. I went back through that "73 S For Sale" thread and see absolutely nothing disrespectful about it (except frankr calling me a penis). Members here enjoy the freedom to offer opinions, criticisms, and advice as long as it's done with respect. The idea that offering an unsolicited opinion is somehow disrespectful or wrong is absurd. When you become a member here you sign up for that but fighting fairly and civil discourse is the order of the day. Just because conflict and criticism make you personally uncomfortable does not make it wrong. "Who we are" vs. "what others want us to be" should not be a legitimate debate. Frankly I appreciate the honest, forthright discussion in this community and I'm also perfectly content with the fact that there are people on this board who literally hate me because of my views. I'm good with that; we are all entitled to our opinions. That's what makes a community diverse and well rounded.

As for those members who have been "driven off", that's hogwash. Life changes for all of us and many just don't feel the kindred spirit here any more. If on the other hand they didn't like the direction the community was heading then it was their obligation to be a civil agent of change... or leave. What I see as being the main impetus for exodus is the elephant in the room: The biased moderating. I have the highest regard for those in authority here but I also believe they may allow their personal agendas to get in the way of objective censorship. They would probably disagree with me and that's ok. I will always voice to them when I believe they're being biased and at the same time personally congratulate them on a job well done in a thankless position.

Well said...couldn't agree more...even if you are a penis

Always look on the bright side of life...

Quote Originally Posted by gsjohnson View Post
    Now THAT'S funny...
    Lee Fishpaw

O Gruppe #20
    Early S Reg #2175
    R Gruppe #714
    '70 914-6
    '88 911
    '85 928S
    '74 260Z
    '74 TR6

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gsjohnson View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cs4Gj7JsET4

Well said, Frank.

To any and all who wish to discuss my biases, always feel free to PM me. Heck, I'll even PM you my cell phone and we can talk about it.

Back to our regularly scheduled program...
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Agreed. And entertainment value must count for something as well!!

Banned
    Rick,

Can't please everyone and its a fool's errand to try.

"Not heard from since"?
    Good grief, give him some time; he's currently moving. Remember?

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Beck View Post
    Rick,

Can't please everyone and its a fool's errand to try.

"Not heard from since"?
    Good grief, give him some time; he's currently moving. Remember?
    Very true.

This car is like an online date. While it has its esthetic attributes and a good personality, it's not what was expected.
    I like your description as well!
    72 911S Targa #0807 95+% German.

Paul Harrop 12.5% German.

Early S #2059

Well written Frank.

I also think some people struggle enormously to both articulate their thoughts and personal nuances in written format, and to understand others' styles when they read. I have to be careful when I write here to ensure my Aussie vernacular doesn't come through too strong or you mostly North 'Mericans wouldn't understand me or my humour... or spelling Do you guys know how much it kills me writing aluminum instead of aluminium

Also. It's the internet, you can't say who can and who can't read your stuff, so don't put something on the 'net and get pissy when someone disagrees...
    John Forcier
    EarlyS #1987
    1968 911 Race Car "Grun Hilda"
    1969 S/T interpretation "Blau Healer"
    Restoration Saga