Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SWB engine replaced at factory - question

SWB engine replaced at factory - question

I'm in possession of a Kardex that shows a second engine number entered in a box below the original engine number. There is lettering before the replacement engine number that looks like HAB and after the number "und HM"

I've seen in the past the original typed engine number crossed out and the replacement number written above. This particular car was used as a test car by the factory.

No, the car is not for sale and I'm not going to reveal the numbers at this point. But I am interested in any insight available on the notations.
    techweenie.com

My parts fetcher: 2016 Tesla S | Currently building: 73 RSR tribute and 69 RS tribute

Is there also writing in the 'warranty area'? On the kardex of 278 there are a couple of lines referring to the engine swap.

Richard
    searching for engine (case) 903742

Nord Stern Region of PCA....west coast side of Region
    just drawing from faint memories of the German I learned in high school:

Habt > had ?

und HM> and hermacht ? ( here made ) as in new ?
    Best Regards,
    mrgreenjeans
    member # 1503

-'68 -912 Red
    -'74 -914-2.0 litre - Sunflower
    -'82/83 -944 -M404 - Guards Red
    -'84 -944 -M456 - Guards Red -Weissach Prep. -H52
    -'84 -944 -M456 - Zermatt Silver
    -'84 -944 -M404 - Sunroof Delete - Ruby Red
    -'85.2 - 944 -M456 -Zermatt / Sport Purposes
    -'86 -944 -R74 Spt.Touring Pkg - White/Burgandy
    -'88 -944 - Jubilee Ltd. Ed. -Satin Black Met/Grey Plaid
    -'88 -911 - Tourist Delivery -Venetian Blue
    -'89 -944 Turbo M030 - Satin Black Met.

Quote Originally Posted by preS View Post
    Is there also writing in the 'warranty area'? On the kardex of 278 there are a couple of lines referring to the engine swap.

Richard
    The boxes are in a 'second column' on the Kardex. Upper box is labeled Motor-Nr. Box below is Motor-Xnd.-Nr. (which I assume Xnd. is 'exchanged'). Others I believe I have seen have had the number in the upper box crossed out and the replacement number written above.

The difference here, I suspect, is that the car in question was "owned" by the factory when the engine was replaced -- perhaps a year after it rolled off the assy line.

This feels like forensic archaeology.
    techweenie.com

My parts fetcher: 2016 Tesla S | Currently building: 73 RSR tribute and 69 RS tribute

Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenjeans View Post
    just drawing from faint memories of the German I learned in high school:

Habt > had ?

und HM> and hermacht ? ( here made ) as in new ?
    That makes a lot of sense.
    techweenie.com

Quote Originally Posted by Eminence Gris View Post
    The boxes are in a 'second column' on the Kardex. Upper box is labeled Motor-Nr. Box below is Motor-Xnd.-Nr. (which I assume Xnd. is 'exchanged'). Others I believe I have seen have had the number in the upper box crossed out and the replacement number written above.

The difference here, I suspect, is that the car in question was "owned" by the factory when the engine was replaced -- perhaps a year after it rolled off the assy line.

This feels like forensic archaeology.

I know where the 'boxes' are that you refer to but if there is additional information than you can find it under the 'owner (s) names'. It will tell you at how many kilometers it was swapped and why. This might be missing for a company car.

Richard
    searching for engine (case) 903742

Quote Originally Posted by preS View Post
    I know where the 'boxes' are that you refer to but if there is additional information than you can find it under the 'owner (s) names'. It will tell you at how many kilometers it was swapped and why. This might be missing for a company car.

Richard
    This is a friend's car, and its not "in play" so I don't want to give away too many details, but here is what I'm talking about. Never seen a Kardex quite like this...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    techweenie.com

I would like to learn more. However, seeing how this is a Versuch car, then engine changes would likely be done at the factory. Without knowing in what capacity it served at the factory it is hard to know why the engine was changed. Perhaps just to have an engine with Weber's. It appears to have been in factory service for almost two years.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

Yes, clearly the engine was replaced at the factory. There's no way I know of to find out how the car was tested, and I've asked people who work for Porsche in Stuttgart.
    techweenie.com

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    Does the engine number in the car match the new Kardex number?