Page 34 of 37 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast

Thread: Show your dog...

FRED, whatcha gone and done now.

IMG_0104.jpg

He swam in the lake for 1/2 hr and was clean as a grubby whistle
    Mark

We had to put our 17 year old hua-hua down last Spring, it was very sad. Dolemite was much loved and pre-dated the kids, even our marriage. His daughter Sadie is 16 and winding down. She's now blind, mostly toothless, and almost deaf. But she still comes with me to the shop everyday. And we rescued another hua-hua several months ago, so Archie is now part of the family. He's ten, fat, and toothless, but full of love. The crazy thing is he looks like a fat version of Dolo, though their personalities are much different.
    I wish dogs lived longer.

---Adam
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If you're reading this and you are not yet an Early 911S Registry member, Join Now!
    Early 911S Registry Member 1372
    Check out Unobtanium-Inc.com
    New blog posts all the time!

I had an English cocker spaniel. I loved him very much. Now I plan to get a dog of the boxer breed.

5C22E6F2-A4A7-451D-B4D8-AB2BDE20B365.jpg He runs on redline all day and then rest and cuddles once it gets dark.
    Phil
    72E
    87 M491
    59 ConvD

I grew up in a bird hunting family, and our pointer Queeny lived 22 years, teaching three generations of her pups how to hunt.

Jessie Mae at the shop (2).jpg

20201210_085952.jpg

For my wife and I, our last four dogs have been Airedale rescues, and the current occupant Jessie Mae has it pretty good.
    Russ

ESR # 1537

'62 356S Notchback Hotrod
    '67 S Das Geburtstagsgeschenk
    '68 T Targa Sportomatic
    '68 L SW Targa Sportomatic
    '70 914/6 GT

Dog Crashes Track Meet . . .

. . . and how d'ya think THAT turned-out?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBLMuNEZ4kU

Go get 'em, Gracie!

We Can Be Heroes

Porter

We’d been visiting my ex-Brother-in-Law out in Norco, when we stopped-off at a small Pet&Feed store on our way out of town. The X and I had been talking about getting a 2nd dog to give our 1st some company, so, as we walked-in, we’d asked if they knew of any dogs for adoption

Yup

So, out in the back of the store was a big cardboard box . . . with six pups in it

What kind?

Lab and Aussie, I think

Perfect. I’d had that mix before and she was a great dog. Tough enough to be outside, not too big, not too small . . . + super-smart

Anyway --- of the six pups, three were conked-out at one end of the box and stayed asleep. And of the three that were up, one was pretty active --- jumping-around, biting and nipping and just generally acting crazy. One Shy One was getting jumped-on pretty-good and looked whipped, like he’d given up . . .

. . . but the other one was sitting there all calm, jus’ chillin’. So the Crazy One turns his attention to the Calm One and starts jumping on him . . . who puts-up with his nonsense for a little bit --- then, when he's had enough, turns and pins the Crazy One down . . . ‘till he backs-off and goes looking for somebody else to mess with

Hm. Calm nature --- with a long fuse. And stands-up for himself . . .

So, I take the Calm One outta the box --- which he isn’t too happy about . . . and put him out in the middle of the floor, all by himself, away from everything. He’s a little anxious, out there all alone, whining softly

Then, I take this little ball off of one of the shelves, get down on the floor in front of him --- and roll the ball past him

Instantly --- not a moment’s hesitation, before he even knows what he’s doing . . .

. . . he goes right after that ball

Strong ‘play-drive’. So, he’s trainable --- and all I’ll need is a ball. ‘Play’ is his reward

That was five homes, four companies, two moves cross-country, one marriage . . . and almost sixteen years, ago. Always been My Favorite

We stopped ‘playing’ a few years back. We'd had a dog that blew her ACL 'cause she played so hard, so I was always careful about him not hurting himself. And he slowed-down a lot, too, especially this last year. Our walks got slower, the distances shorter. And he'd started limping, too. And I wouldn’t let him take the stairs, anymore. In the evening, I carried him up. And in the morning, I carried him down

When it comes to Porty, I’m all in . . . the ear-thing and the eye-thing and the skin-thing and the liver-thing --- even the limp-thing. But he wasn’t having fun, anymore . . . not on our walks, not at the park, not even our hikes . . .

. . . and on Friday, he was hurting so bad, he could barely lay himself down to take a snooze

I put him down, last Saturday. Had a Vet come by the house. Zovig and my Sister came by. Our local Vet gave me an anti-inflammatory to take his pain away, and it was a huge relief to see him move and smile, again. As soon as my Sis got there, he wanted her to take him for a walk. So they took a short stroll over to a shady patch and just plunked-down there on the lawn. She even went back to the house and brought him his water bowl --- he’s always been a big drinker

When The People came by, he looked happy. Love seeing his Porty Smile. We small-talked for a while, told the story of his name (Mel Gibson Movie ‘Payback), then they gave him some treats . . .

. . . then a shot . . .

. . . then another . . .

. . . and he's -------------------------- gone

Then we lay him on a gurney --- I put his head on a pillow . . . and load him into their truck

Think that’s the 1st time he’s ever gone someplace without me

And when his ashes come back, we’ll go to the beach . . .

. . . then I’ll say good-bye

Last edited by LongRanger; 05-05-2021 at 06:46 AM.

We Can Be Heroes

We had to do the same on Sunday for the last known member of clan Dolemite.
    Dolo passed last July, but his daughter Sadie held on for a little longer. They were 17 and 16, so they lived full lives, traveled the country with me buying Porsches, went on planes, did everything little dogs can do. They will be missed.

They are now together in death, buried under the big tree in the front yard.

---Adam
    If you're reading this and you are not yet an Early 911S Registry member, Join Now!

No Idea . . .

. . . how much I miss him . . .

. . . took him everywhere I could

We Can Be Heroes

Quote Originally Posted by LongRanger View Post
    . . . how much I miss him . . .

. . . took him everywhere I could

They are family, truly. Dolo and Sadie came to work with me every day, this was their bed in Brooklyn, where they chased rats as big as them!

---Adam