Thread: Hello & Hope Someone Can Assist...

Thumbs up Hello & Hope Someone Can Assist...

Hello,

I am a long time Porsche owner; however, the earliest model I have owned is a 993 C2. Whilst I've always had a hankering for an early 911, I've stuck with more modern 911s for reasons of practicality (daily driver).

However, I'm now in the position to change that (after saving the pennies and making space in the garage) but am struggling to find the right pre-74 coupe. I've been looking for about six months, have spoken with a few 'brokers' in the USA but haven't unearthed what I am looking for. Instead, I keep getting offered over restored cars, tarted up old nails (think lipstick on a pig!) or broken down old shells.

A post on another forum had Josh D mention this one and speak highly of the members, which brings me to where I am now!

So, what am I looking for?

I'm after a B series 1969-1973 Coupe and from a dry state. Preferably a 71-73.

I'm not looking for a cosmetically perfect coupe but don't want to embark on an extended restoration process - a car needing paint would be fine but something that will eat time and money on body restoration would not be ideal.

The ideal is to find a mechanically sound car but again, something that needs a little work isn't out of the question.

The problem is that whilst I can find 'restored cars' (many of them poorly done!), I cannot find good, honest, solid cars.

Can anyone recommend a source, place to look, etc.

I'm based in England but would like a LHD 911 and am willing to import one - in fact, that is my preference.

Whilst I recognise that this isn't an easy find, I know the cars are out there. A friend has recently found a 72T and paid fair money, for a fair car. That is what I am looking to do.

I'd like this to be the start of a long term ownership. A car I can work on over time; not a perfect car, so that I am scared to use it or park it anywhere but rather an honest, solid 911 that I can enjoy and cherish the ownership of.

Any and all advice would be appreciated and thank you, in advance, for your time.
    Last edited by AM94; 04-25-2014 at 02:50 AM. Reason: a few details added

Welcome

It all comes down to time, patience, luck (and money - soon its 6 figures $ for all good/perfect condition pre-74).
    The more you see cars in flesh the better you know this cars.
    Check the For sale section on this board, there are still cars around in a state you mentioned but you need to act quickly. http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...Cars-1965-1973

For Euro cars, the overall site http://www.classicdriver.com/en is quite good and covers several countrys.
    If you want a LHD it might not pop up in the UK easy so be prepared to travel.
    I can also recommend a Swiss adress where I am a regular customer and helped two friends buying cars from them.

Good luck
    Registry member No.773

Hello Karim, thank you for your response.

I am looking on Classic Driver and all the other sites I can think of; however, wanted to make sure I wasn't missing a source.

I have found a car in Munich but am now trying to source someone (with knowledge) who could look at it for me.

I will travel to look at a car but work commitments mean I cannot do that on a regular basis, simply on a whim.

An honest, solid no rust car with minimal issues cosmetic or mechanical will not cost that much less than a properly restored car. And of course nice 'survivor' cars will sell for more than restored cars.
    The best advice is to look at as many cars as you can and you will get a feel for what you want and what you will have to spend to get it.
    The other good advice given to me is, "to find the right car you will need to mentally be able to walk away from a lot of OK cars" So do not buy the first car that might work.
    Good luck.
    Tucson AZ.

Pay it Forward

Hello, AM94 --- and welcome aboard . . .

I think that you've come to the right place. I came here for the same reasons as you, five years ago

I don't know what your budget is, but ---- you juuust missed some very nice cars --- and no affiliation . . .
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...che-911E-Targa
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...-Blk-)-85K-OBO
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...911T-MFI-Coupe

Apart from all the usual advice, I would suggest that you . . .

1) . . . spend some time here . . .
    2) . . . read over the comments made + cars offered --- and . . . most especially . .
    3) . . . please-please-please . . . . feel free to ask lots + lots of questions

Also . . . try to contribute --- anything that you can. Our Little Corner lives + breathes because people come here and share stuff --- and you won't believe how much stuff is here. There's no probationary period, no time-limits, no qualifications for posting. I started-off by passing along ads + posts from other sites about all the cars that I came across during My Search. Actually found + bought my car here, too, so . . .

. . . pile it on!

You might even wanna Member-up!

We Can Be Heroes