Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is there a Fuchs Tutorial?

Fuchs Tutorial

Can someone please point me in the direction of a Fuchs tutorial? DD, Deep 6s, Hearts, 7s, Alloys, Copies, Empi, American racing, Flat 4. I'm confused.
    I searched online, but came up with limited data.

Thanks in advance,
    Last edited by ghalperin; 05-29-2014 at 10:36 AM.
    Glenn Halperin
    Early 911S Registry Member #2956

Did you search this sight? "Fuchs alloys" produces 5 pages of results. Pull up a chair.
    Brian
    S Reg #1032

"I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"

Quote Originally Posted by Silverbullit View Post
    Did you search this sight? "Fuchs alloys" produces 5 pages of results. Pull up a chair.
    I did search this site and browsed over 50 pages of posts. None are really a tutorial in general. I also looked at Pelican and Rennlist. Below are the best that I've found so far.

1) Idiots Guide to Fuchs Not a guide, but there are a couple of informative links.
    2) Comprehensive Wheel Summary Alot of info, but never completed.
    3) 6x15 Fuchs Alloys - I guess I need a short lesson My favorite complete with a moderate flame war!
    4) space saver question
    5) another tyre thread
    6) Wheel Question - 4.5 inch Fuchs finish
    7) Wheel Questions
    8) KPZ vs Lemmerz Wheels
    9) Early 15x7 and 15x8 inch Fuchs - ID help please.
    10) Show your Wheels
    11) American Racing Torq-Thrust Wheels
    12) vintage wheel ID help please.

Pelicanparts
    http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...cap-sizes.html
    http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...cast-rims.html
    http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...heels-odd.html
    http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...ca-wheels.html

Rennlist
    http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...eel-guide.html
    http://members.rennlist.com/911pcars/WheelWts.html

I was hoping to find 1 post to cover all the different relevant Fuchs and their nicknames.
    Glenn Halperin

Check post by John Audette (jaudette3) I believe he did one.

Good Luck
    Joe Annicelli
    Early 911S Registry #751
    Polo Red/Black 1967 Porsche 911S Coupe "Walter"
    Black/Red 1967 Alfa GTJr. Coupe "Nero"
    Italian Red 1994 Ducati 900SS/SP looks fast standing still
    Italian Red 1957 Gilera 150 Sport

Ahhhh the sixties... I envision myself one early Saturday morning wearing plaid shorts, black shoes with white socks smoking a cigarette heading to the hardware store to buy a bag of nails.
    SWB cars are an acquired taste however once acquired theirs no turning back.

Fuchs trance
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Glen

Do you have a specific question in mind? I'm sure that would be answered quickly and accurately. Your original question is simply too broad in scope and is impossible to answer with anything close to a complete answer.

Regards

Jim

I'll start. Layman's terms, no means official. But some cliff notes. I'm too lazy myself to search using this feature:

-To begin, they started on the 67S. One year only width and petal paint scheme. 4.5"
    -Then they made another limited run of 5.5" that were "deep" in that the spokes/petals were raised and left a deep valley between the spoke and rim intersection. They weren't "6es" due to their width.
    -There is the 7R wheel, which is a special wheel with a big offset to allow for larger tires underneath the car and fit in narrow bodied early 911s. Made famous on the 911R and other early competition models.
    -Then came the "Deep 6"(x 15), which officially ran from MY69 thru 71, transitioning sometime in spring 71 to the "the flat 6" on MY72 and 73 cars and some of the last MY71 cars. E's with hydroneumatic front struts came with 14" versions of the wheels.
    -Deep 6s came in two varieties. Early ones had a "heart" shape around the spoke opening containing the valve stem. Later versions had no hearts and the openings looked like the others. Not sure when this transition happened, but I want to say mid MY70
    -So called Flat 6 wheels covered 72 and 73 cars (and some of the last 71 cars).

The black petal paint depth (up the rim of the wheel) varied, which greatly affects the appearance of a Fuchs over model year and size range.

So those are the wheels that this site's crowd is most focused on. The G series cars, worked out 6" and 7" x 16" versions of Fuchs and then the MY89 had a one year only width available as well (if I recall). There are of course other variations for competition cars where wider tires were used, and interesting combinations for certain years when Fuchs weren't manufactured wide enough to fit what certain flares would accommodate (the S/T competition car). Then by the RS/RSR, Fuchs were pretty much sorted out and had front to back matches for almost everything.

There are people on this site that forget more in a day about Fuchs than I will ever know, but this is a start for you.

Name:  ferry_fuchs1215662488.jpg
Views: 2056
Size:  58.0 KB
    Last edited by beh911; 04-28-2014 at 04:02 PM. Reason: added nice pic
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

Pretty good run down. The 4.5's had only the V painted black. Note that all before flat 6's were intended for tubes but can be run tubeless with the right valve stem. Also the change from 3-prong centers to ring centers in 74 to match the change to hub centricity.
    Mike de Jong | '71 911T/E 2.4 Tangerine | '74 911S 3.2 Ice Green

Awesome. I learned more in 5 minutes than I did searching through hundreds of posts.
    Glenn Halperin

Good correct responses. I'll add some.
    As Jim B. said it is a big project even for the few years that we are concerned about (67-73)

I can start by explaining the (forging, not parts order) numbers:

901 361 012 01 4.5X15 stock on 67S and optional on everything else.
    901 361 012 03 6X15 early race wheel first used on 911Rs and available on everything else
    901 361 012 04 5.5X15 stock on 68S and available on everything else...some evidence that they were used on 69 912s and 69 911Ts
    901 361 012 05 7X15 early race wheel first used on 911Rs and available on everything else.
    901 361 012 06 6X15 stock on 69-71.5 911Ss. The production version of the early race 6X15 that replaced it at the 69 MY changeover. Available on everything else.
    911 361 020 00 6X15 stock on 71.5-73 911Ss and the front of the 73 911RSs. Available on everything else.
    911 361 020 01 7X15 first used on 911 STs in 71 and later in production form for the rear (or front 73.5 RSs) of 73 911RSs. Same number race and production.
    911 361 020 02 8X15 first used on 911 STs in 71 then later in production form for the rear of the 73.5 RSs. Same number race and production.
    911 361 020 03 9X15 first used on 911 STs in 71 then later for the front of 73 911RSRs
    911 361 020 05 11X15 first used on very late 2.5 STs then later for the rear of 73 911RSRs

The dates are in production range and parts replacement ranges.
    The wheels’ center cap holes were designed for the 3 prong cap until the hub centric changeover ( 74MY).
    This is a small start and I’ll up date with the finishes, running production differences and the date ranges that I have encountered.
    Available on everything else means the could be ordered in the date range when they were produced…not before duh.
    And I’ll try to address the different names (slang and official) used for the various wheels.
    And I’ll try to fix my errors (they’ll be plenty) and omissions as I find them…so if you print this, keep going back to check.

HTH
    H