Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Is there a Fuchs Tutorial?

Here are a couple of pictures of my hubcaps from early Targa 500 010:

Note that there is no circle and that there are only 2 mounting ears.

Name:  IMG_3641.jpg
Views: 745
Size:  199.4 KBName:  IMG_3642.jpg
Views: 717
Size:  183.9 KB
    Last edited by Orval_F; 08-10-2015 at 11:53 AM.

5.5" Fuchs - undated?

I dug up this old thread, in the hopes that it would answer a question... Were early 5.5" Fuchs not date stamped. I have one that has no indication of a date.

Thanks,

Scott
    1968 911S
    1986 Carrera
    2006 Carrera S

1973 BMW 3.0CS - Frances (gone but not forgotten)

Picture of wheel...

Thanks,

Scott

Name:  1153.jpg
Views: 601
Size:  168.2 KB
    1968 911S
    1986 Carrera
    2006 Carrera S

I have a set that were not stamped; Harvey confirmed they were real Fuchs...
    1966 911 Coupe - Slate Grey - 304598 - still in restoration!

Member #1616

Great. Thanks for the reply. Does the lack of date stamp indicate any particular timeframe? Such as very early 5.5" ?

Scott
    1968 911S
    1986 Carrera
    2006 Carrera S

I've also seen unstamped real 5.5"s. All other aspects of the wheel were genuine (Fox logo, production codes, part number and the general form and weight of the wheel etc) therefore happy the wheel was authentic, yet not clear on the history as to why it may have missed the date-stamp operation. The earliest date-stamped 5.5"s I have seen are mid-1967's. A bigger sample size would help, but it's possible that pre mid-67 5.5" may not have been date-stamped, but also just as possible that later post-production spares or replacement batches were not date-stamped for whatever reason.
    I guess we can have some confidence that the lack of date stamp on a 5.5" doesn't mean they're any less authentic, but like you Scott, It would be good to understand why the stamp is missing.
    Mikey C. ESR Membership #3333
    http://www.mceporsche.com

Thanks for the info Mikey. My car is a 7/67 production, so there's a chance it is an early production wheel, but obviously no way to know for sure 50+ years later.

Scott
    1968 911S
    1986 Carrera
    2006 Carrera S

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Weidman View Post
    The early Porsche hubs didn't have a centering ridge so they were "lug centric" using the lugs to center the wheels as most production cars were at the time.
    For the 74 MY Porsche introduced a hub centric ridge on the hubs and machined the center of the wheels to closely fit for a more consistent mount.
    The industry standard for some time has been hub centric (or hub centering) wheel to hub system.
    H
    Shop wants to manufacture centering rings for my '72 Targa, for a later model wheel. Is this pointless at best (and harmful at worst) on pre-74 front hub?

(Trying to chase down a 70+mph vibration).

And thank you for all the great information in this thread!

See Below, the link has MANY!! stock selection of rings listed by ID & OD much less expensive than having a shop make you a set. They also do custom sizes at a rate much less than most machine shops would mess with them. some are aluminum some plastic, made in the US and ship out of Travers City MI.
    either with info in this thread or measure what you have "accurately" This would make your experiment easy and very affordable.
    I got a set for my Volvo XC70 to go from 16" to 17" wheels worked out well.

Have Fun

https://us.hubcentric-rings.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry L View Post
    See Below, the link has MANY!! stock selection of rings listed by ID & OD much less expensive than having a shop make you a set. They also do custom sizes at a rate much less than most machine shops would mess with them. some are aluminum some plastic, made in the US and ship out of Travers City MI.
    either with info in this thread or measure what you have "accurately" This would make your experiment easy and very affordable.
    I got a set for my Volvo XC70 to go from 16" to 17" wheels worked out well.

Have Fun

https://us.hubcentric-rings.com/
    This is interesting. Thanks for sharing.