Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Is there a Fuchs Tutorial?

I'll try to only post original finish wheel photos so there is some accuracy.
    The 4.5X15 first Porsche Fuchs......one year finish only... painted with the dart as mentioned.
    A mask was held for spraying and then using a brush to finish the edges on the ends.
    I apologize in advance for using the photos without credit.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Harvey/Jim, can you explain "hub centricity" and what that change means?

Cheers
    John
    John Forcier
    EarlyS #1987
    1968 911 Race Car "Grun Hilda"
    1969 S/T interpretation "Blau Healer"
    Restoration Saga

Wow. Thank you, thank you. You guys rock. 2nd week of Porsche ownership and I'm starting to learn a few things.
    Glenn Halperin
    Early 911S Registry Member #2956

Quote Originally Posted by Fishcop View Post
    Harvey/Jim, can you explain "hub centricity" and what that change means?

Cheers
    John
    The early Porsche hubs didn't have a centering ridge so they were "lug centric" using the lugs to center the wheels as most production cars were at the time.
    For the 74 MY Porsche introduced a hub centric ridge on the hubs and machined the center of the wheels to closely fit for a more consistent mount.
    The industry standard for some time has been hub centric (or hub centering) wheel to hub system.
    H

Are they all forged aluminum?
    Glenn Halperin

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Weidman View Post
    The early Porsche hubs didn't have a centering ridge so they were "lug centric" using the lugs to center the wheels as most production cars were at the time.
    For the 74 MY Porsche introduced a hub centric ridge on the hubs and machined the center of the wheels to closely fit for a more consistent mount.
    The industry standard for some time has been hub centric (or hub centering) wheel to hub system.
    H
    Thanks Harvey. As I only own pre 74 cars I didn't realise there was a variance - good to know. Does this mean some early wheels are inconsistent with use on laters cars (such as in a backdate)?
    John Forcier
    EarlyS #1987
    1968 911 Race Car "Grun Hilda"
    1969 S/T interpretation "Blau Healer"
    Restoration Saga

I may have found some history from the factory.
    Otto Fuchs KG
    Below is a link to Die Fuchsfelde
    http://www.fuchsfelge.de/index.php?id=5&L=1
    Glenn Halperin

Yes, they are forged. Stamped forging and spun forging, them machined. Porsche was using Fuchs for the 356 brake drums so it was a natural choice. Fuchs has made and still makes wheels for other car mfgs. That is the comment when I see OEM Fuchs for sale, they could be for a BMW or even a Mercedes and still be "OEM" (original equipment manufacture). (should be "OE")
    I'm not sure if there was another forging company outside of Alcoa that could the process in the quantity and precision needed. There actually was a rumor at one time that Alcoa did try some prototype work, but I have never seen any.
    H
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Fishcop View Post
    Thanks Harvey. As I only own pre 74 cars I didn't realise there was a variance - good to know. Does this mean some early wheels are inconsistent with use on laters cars (such as in a backdate)?
    That is a good question. I only have >'74 wheels so I can't answer. It is definitely the case for 4 lug 914 Fuchs.

I believe the hub ring on '74+ 911 hubs is 71.6mm diameter.
    Last edited by M_deJong; 04-29-2014 at 09:22 AM.
    Mike de Jong | '71 911T/E 2.4 Tangerine | '74 911S 3.2 Ice Green

Found this interesting condensed history of the Porsche/Fuchs partnership. I have no affiliation, so don't shoot the messenger.

a-short-history-of-the-fuchs-wheel
    Jordan
    rally-prepped '69 911T 3.0L
    S Registry #1933
    Vintage Parts & Restoration http://retro-sport.com