Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1973 2.4e

1973 2.4e

It's a slow wet Sunday afternoon here in the UK…..I considered starting a 'show your cat' thread however thought I'd share photos of my 2.4E instead…

It crossed my mind to start a restoration thread here on a number of occasions although you guys are a tough crowd to please and lacking any elephant skin ultimately wimped out…..I enjoyed documenting the build on DDK and had great support although not much in the way of constructive critism….would be nice to know what you guys think?

Full details:…

Porsche 911 2.4E LHD Manual
    Chassis Number: 9113200575 - Engine Number: 6239157
    Registration Number: MCY182L - previously Q150GFR (UK) and MI-CA 491 (Germany)
    Current Mileage: 40,315 miles (64,880 Klms)

Built December 1972 - Registered 1st January 1973 Bad Oeynhausen, Minden, Germany
    Imported to the UK and registered 6th December 1983
    2 known German owners (mother and son) and 4 previous UK owners (last owner for 21 years)

Original Specification:
    Sportomatic
    Light Ivory with Black Leatherette, Seat Inlays Pepita
    Stabilizer Front and Rear 15mm
    3-Point Safety Belts
    Rear Apron
    Additional High Beam Lamps White over Bumper
    Fuel Tank (85ltr)
    Coloured Windows

Current Specification:
    915 Manual Gearbox with ZF Limited Slip Differential
    Light Ivory with Black Leatherette, Seat Inlays Pepita
    Stabilizer Front and Rear 15mm
    3-Point Safety Belts
    Fuel Tank (85ltr)
    Coloured Windows

Full Comprehensive Restoration - 2010 through 2013
    Body rebuild by Barry Carter
    Paintwork by Swindon Car & Van
    Engine rebuild by Nick Fulljames at Redtek Engineering
    Gearbox Rebuild by Mike Bainbridge at MB Engineering
    Suspension, Steering, Interior, Cosmetic rebuild by Alan Drayson, Chris Lowe and Scott the 'trimmer' at Canford Classics
    Geometry and Corner Weighting etc by Chris Franklin and Peter at Center Gravity
    'Numerous' parts supplied by Simon Gough and Tim at Porsche Centre Swindon
    Blood, sweat, tears, 3 years of constant thought/guilt, hundreds of telephone calls, thousands of emails, days/weeks/months of research, all free time and life savings...….all my own.

Initially the plan was to build a tangerine R Gruppe inspired hot rod however the CoA confirmed a nicely specified car with matching numbered engine so I figured it needed to go back to original specification. The car looked pretty good to start…

The car underwent a total restoration which in the UK means back to a bare shell and much new metal…(the full restoration thread is here http://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/vie...p?f=28&t=35606 )….

Crowning glory for me was having the car featured on the front cover of Classic Porsche issue 21…

….

1973 2.4e

…photos of the (almost) finished article…

Last edited by Darren65; 04-27-2014 at 10:18 AM.

member #1515
    Nothing much to say except:

WOW!!!!!
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

Pussy-cats

Quote Originally Posted by Darren65 View Post
    . . . a slow wet Sunday afternoon here in the UK…..I considered starting a 'show your cat' thread however thought I'd share photos of my 2.4E instead . . .

Original Specification:
    Sportomatic . . .
    Beautiful car, Darren --- spectacular, really. You must be pretty tickled to have one so nice. I didn't realize that this car had been an original Sporto, though. Do you still have that trans? I'm still waiting for someone to restore one of these cars back

Also --- whenever you're ready to add any pussy-cat pictures . . . .

PS More please

PPS . . . and maybe add a shot to this thread?
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ghlight=mimute
    Attached Images Attached Images  

We Can Be Heroes

Darren,
    That one looks great !! What head liner did you use?

Thanks Guys

Well as pretty as the car looks it's no garage queen….in the last 10 months it's travelled over 10,000 klms, has picked up a few chips to the screen and bonnet, has been to Germany for a blast around the Black mountains with 25 other early 911's and even a 904, and has had many other fun days out with Porsche buddies where it gets driven hard.

As with a many of our projects, they're never quite finished…..recently I refurbished a set of Cookie Cutters which I fitted with winter tires so I could see how the car would have looked when it first left the factory and also so I can try it when it snows…

…other recent improvements has been changing the tired looking door handles and the originally fitted incorrect vinyl covered interior door trim tops with items supplied by Marek Lapock….

….I also fitted one of Marek's excellent black anodised engine lid, my original was damaged and had to be painted…..the new item looks a lot sharper which leaves me with a request for help…

….the engine lid Porsche script on my car was initially borrowed and the owner needs it for another project…..if anyone can help with sourcing black anodised NOS Porsche script and a 911E engine lid badge (or perfect dark originals) then please let me know?

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,