All,

I definitely wanted to get to the bottom of the factory ’73/'72 driving light configuration, specifically whether or not it would be installed with a fog light switch. I researched this previously, and never found a PORSCHE wiring diagram that showed the connection. I always assumed driving lights could not be configured for a US bound car, and the rest of the world turned them on with high beams.

However, Allen stated
Quote Originally Posted by Allen Henderson View Post
My '72S was wired per the schematic for the U.S. There WAS and IS a switch on the dash to activate the driving lights (yes, in conjunction with the High beams) The schematic shown is just part of the circuit. Thanks.

Allen, It was always my understanding the fog light wiring diagram supplement was the only way this switch would be wired from the factory (or with the retrofit kit). If your car was wired per the electric wire diagram for US (same circuit for 72 & 73) shown, then clearly there must be another diagram I am unaware of. Also, how exactly did it work in conjunction with the high beams? You would turn on the fog switch, the driving lights would stay off, and only turn on when the high beam was triggered? Seems odd, or did it work differently? What part of the circuit am I missing? Would you please share the schematic for wiring driving lights with the fog switch? There “WAS and IS” is not much documentation or proof this configuration was from the factory.

Name:  Fog Wiring.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  67.2 KB

Now, I have no proof that driving lights activated by the fog switch for the US market didn’t exist, but what I have seen is when a car is configured with driving lights, only photos of non-US RS’s, they do not have the dash board fog light switch, so presumably it is activated with the high beam switch (would really like to see the schematic of this, a German one possibly?). Seems odd Porsche would have two different ways of wiring driving lights, one with the switch for the US market and one without the switch for ROW.

Some beautiful examples of RS’s with driving lights without the fog switch. What I don’t have documentation of, is this option and how it was wired. I could be wrong, but I don’t think these were aftermarket wiring jobs and believe them to be correct.

Name:  Driving lights 1.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  91.3 KBName:  Driving lights 2.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  42.3 KB