I know this has been discussed extensively here and on the BirdBoard. I've searched extensively on both and found a lot of information - unfortunately some of it conflicting. So I'm a little confused (which some say is a natural condition for me).

Anyway, I'm building a new house and we're on the section of the garage where I plan on installing a lift. Fortunately, we have a lot of flexibility in ceiling height without affecting the exterior of the house at all - the height will only affect a storage room above the garage.

I'd like to tap the considerable collective knowledge of this group to answer these questions:

(1) I've read that the minimum height is 10'6" and that 12' is ideal. Do those refer to ceiling height, or clearance height after factoring in the garage door opener? What is the ideal clearance height?

(2) Are side mount garage door openers practical?

(3) I know there are lifts designed to be simply racks for storage and that there are lifts designed for mechanical work. Why would I want a storage rack that wouldn't enable me to remove the wheels when I could get a mechanics rack that would enable me to work on the car and to stack cars?

(4) Dripping oil?

(4) Any pro's and con's of 2-post lifts vs. 4-post lifts?

(5) Anything else I'm missing?

Thanks for your help!

John Audette