Hello everyone,

I have a dilema, I own a 1972 911T Targa which I've had for about 5 years. It's been an amazing car with only a few problems but recently I've had some oil leaks. I took it to a mechanic (drove it at 90mph hitting 5000 RPM) and he told me the carbs are "shot" and I need a full engine rebuild at an estimate of $12000. He further broke my heart saying this is not a collector and never will be a collector car so I might as well part it out, and its not worth restoring the engine. The body is in pretty good shape, and doesn't need to be stripped and painted for at least another 5 years. He told me I should sell it and get a 911s. I love this car and it has sentimental value. Furthermore I love the targa, nothing like driving it on a sunny sunday or at night with a full moon! I also prefer this body to the S as I'm not crazy about the front spoiler. I also like carbs as opposed to fuel injection. So what are my options? sell it? rebuild? or upgrade the engine to an E or S specs. will that lower the value of the car since the engine will be upgraded or since the T engine isn't so desirable it won't make a difference or maybe make it more desirable. Help!! also what would this cost, is the estimate correct?

Yama
1972 911T Targa