A few weeks ago, I had the distinct pleasure of having a 20 minute chat with one of King County's finest after being uncerimoniously pulled over for a so called "non-conforming" plate. I assured the fine sergeant, that the plate was properly registered with the car which led to quite a debate about Collector/Historical plates etc. I unfortunately had not heeded the sage advice of others on this board and had not printed and kept in my glove box, the RCW governing these plates. This has since been corrected for both vehicles. What particularly caught the intrepid sergeant’s eye was the non-reflective nature of the plate. He stated, and I verified, that all plates in WA are required by law to be reflective, which mine certainly was not. He said, "I dion't know what kind of plate you have there, or even if its a plate". But after chatting it up a while and talking about why he was driving an SUV when he preferred being on motorcycles, years on the force, etc, he let me off and told me to do some home work on the RCW.

Any who, thinking about the whole reflective paint thing, I did an internet search and found a company in Canada which sells a clear reflective spray paint. I sprayed both plates yesterday and they reflect like our good state would want. Since it only takes a little spray (which contains micro-glass beads which reflect the light - and very mildly darken the plate to a more historic look) I am offering to paint any WA vintage plate at my house no charge. It will save you the $50 cost if you make the drive out to my hacienda in Fall City. Let me know, and I will PM the directions to the locals I know or friends of friends I personally know (security reasons).

I will also be happy to share the name of the company with those interested in purchasing on their own – but the paperwork is at the residence.

Edit: With R Gruppe PacWest Campout this weekend, any one attending feel free to pick-up the can from me to take over for a gruppe-spray, since most the plates will be in attendance.