Hello - I'm confused about steering wheels.....one's on my '67S and the other came off of my '70 914-6. From what I know neither is original to the particular car it came to me on.

The wheel on the '67S was presented to me as an original, but NOS, configuration wheel. From what I understand this wheel should be 400mm in diameter (measured from the center of the rim across to the center of the rim on the other side??) In fact, when measured this way, it is 400mm across.

The hub of the wheel from the 914-6 is stamped "911 347 082 00" with a 1 73 (date code?) and a triangle with "VDM" inside. The hub and wheel are still riveted together.

Searching this site for 911.347.082.00 turned up several posts identifying it as a 400mm wheel. However, this wheel (measured in the same way described above) is 380mm across.

Is 911 347 082 00 a 400mm or 380mm wheel? Is there a reason someone might go to the trouble of switching a hub and wheel, riveting the assembly back together, painting etc. to try to make all appear original?

What am I missing? .....or can anyone help explain what I have?? ....is one a fake? ....am I measuring wrong?

TIA,
Bob S.