I have always been frustrated that my headlights on my 69 have been a little dimmer than they should be. I mean, I know why (they measure 9.5v on both sides of the fuse block) and just need to do a little checking of the various points in the circuit with a multimeter. So, I have a few minutes this weekend to give it a go and the first stop is the relay up under the front cowl.

Doh, I don't have the maintenance manual for the car at the storage location, so I don't know which of the three round relays belongs to the headlights. No problem, I will just pull each one and check the lights and when they don't work, that is the correct relay. Right? .....Wrong..... Each time I pulled a relay, I checked the lights and they worked all three times. Huh? Aren't those wired into the circuit so that if you pull one, the lights won't work?

I do have a fair amount of electrical knowledge, but this does not make sense to me. My plan was to check voltage and resistance at each point in the circuit back from the fuse block. Relay - Socket - Headlight Switch - Dimmer Switch - to see where I get close to 12v. I am getting a voltage drop somewhere and I figure it is occuring at some connection point. I am not looking for a solution here since I think I know how to go about checking this out. What I am trying to do is understand the relay deal with the lights still working when one is pulled. Thanks.