John Goriup mentioned in another thread that high quality reproductions of the factory nudge bars are being made by Bob Chase, owner of Grey Eagle and are available for $325.00. A friend just paid $2,000 for an NOS one.

It appears that the same parts evolution is starting to occur with early 911's as has occurred with 356's. I just acquired my first 356 after a several year hiatus and I'm amazed at how inexpensive and high quality reproduction parts are. A few years ago the quality of reproduction parts was so low that the hard core wouldn't touch them and preferred to search and pay for NOS and refurbished parts. I'm pretty hard core about originality myself, but the new parts that are now available for 356's (thanks NLA and others) are so good that I'm just not motivated to pay a premium for an original part.

Oddly, as there hasn't been a major movement to reproduce early 911 parts at a high level of quality yet, it's less expensive now to obtain parts for 356's than for early 911's. But I suspect that will change rapidly given that the installed base of early 911's and owners is large and avid.

One inevitable consequence of this is that prices of original parts will fall. We've seen that with many 356 parts and it will probably occur with early 911 parts as well. But availability of high quality reproduction parts is sure going to make restoring these old cars more affordable.

John Audette