I have a 1970 targa. I believe the vehicle has about 108,xxx miles and original transaxle. cat sat from 2006 to 2013. I have spent the last year getting the car back to driver status.I an very happy with the results so far. Just sorting out some final issues. The car does not shift as smoothly as I would like.

I have replaced the shifter linkage bushings including the coupler bushings. My question today is what should I expect? The shifting is "difficult". I have owned a number of classic porsche and vw's. my '65 356 shifts effortlessly. by '62 vw ragtop shifts well. The 911 shifting is a lot of work... it is difficult to grab the right gear under casual driving without a little grind or what seems to me to be excessive pressure. higher revs seems to help from 1st to 2nd. At a stop light 1st is harder that I think it should be.

my point is that most on this site understand such things but someone who does not have the faith would find the car difficult to shift. I feel that it can be improved. Am i just dealing with an old tranny or do you think that more adjustments/other bushings/mount replacements are in my future?

I would love to hear some ideas from you guys! Thanks!