I had asked a question in a for sale ad, and Steve kindly replied, but i thought that it might be better continued in a thread, specifically about Phillips radios. The question I was asking was about translating some of the info that Steve posted, regarding types of Phillips radios and the actual model numbers for them. Would anyone have an insight on this?

Quote Originally Posted by 911MRP View Post
These posts reminded me to check my files...the 208 model appears in my German market Becker full 16 page brochure dated 1972...

Attachment 368702

...and also in my Becker multi language foldout brochure dated 3/72 with an English language discription (this brochure opens up with a neat full size a map of Germany around 1972 on the reverse)...

Attachment 368703

I notice that "Olympia" designation seems to have been dropped on your unit's face with just "Becker Cassette" appearing despite the "Olympia" designation still appearing in the associated matching number paperwork. I think my estimate in post above of G= 70/71 is still reasonably accurate for dating your unit...but maybe this small name change detail on faceplate points to your actual example being having been produced in 1971 shortly ahead of the 72 208 series illustrated in my various 1972 brochures ....rather than one with "Olympia" printed on faceplate if it had been from the earlier part of Becker 70/71 production year. Since it was an aftermarket cassette accessory (never factory fit afaik) allowing for lead time and given this faceplate it could also look appropriate in 1972 cars -- despite your paperwork indicating it was probaly slightly earlier.

Model 208 also appears with the "Becker Cassette" faceplate not "Olympia" in the Geman retailer FB Auto-Radio GMbH catalogue / price list for 1972 alongside other similar listings for Blaupunkt, Philips and Grundig product range ...
Attachment 368704
Attachment 368705
Attachment 368707

In summary: my guess for picky owners wanting to fit something from correct year it is probably most appropriate in a 71 or maybe an earlier 72 car, based in this evidence. Suspect a 70 produced would have carried the "Olympia" faceplate script like the example illustrated in the 70 brochure (post #2) and as illustrated in your unit's paperwork. Others may not care so much.

If anyone knows better I'm happy to learn and be corrected of course.

I have a lot more autoradio stuff from this era including other retailers brochures, the ex-factory to dealer full pricelist covering units plus all vehicle fitting kit information, detaled accessories for Becker, Blaupunkt etc... but maybe the above is sufficient for you and prospective buyers.

Hope this helps.

Steve.
Quote Originally Posted by 911MRP View Post
Certainly Karl

72 Philips in the same German market brochure....
Attachment 441003Attachment 441007
Attachment 441004

Wonder if we'll see bunch of Philips autoradio from the autoradio FS regulars

Best Steve
Quote Originally Posted by karlusmagnus View Post
Thanks Steve, and apologies to Typ901 for intruding on his for sale ad. This however seems more like a Tech info article, thanks to Steve. The next part of the mystery is translating the names of the different Philips models (Jeep Lexus, Spyder de Luxe, Sprint etc) into model numbers like 22RN710 or wwRN531 or 22RN236 etc etc. Does anyone know what model numbers were used? Were any installed at the factory vs dealer installed (option code was always M449)

This is German option list for MY 73
Name:  Screen Shot 2017-11-16 at 6.28.24 AM.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  129.9 KB