I have only been doing this for about 30 years, and I long ago became acclimated to “Porsche” prices. What I don’t appreciate is how prices have risen with the value of the cars. Just seems like I am getting gouged. I love playing with old cars, and I get it that some parts in low volume are expensive. And I am glad that they make them, but still. $4,000 for an oil cooler, $500 for an ignition switch, and on and on, just doesn’t seem right. It seems to me that prices have been raised because the cars are more expensive, and they figure they can get it.
I appreciate that my 911S is worth a little more than the $1,500 I paid for it, but honestly, I am not that excited about it as it is now worth about what I have put into it over the years.
The cost of the cars and the prices of parts pretty much means you need a professional restoration, because you are putting so much money into it that if you do it yourself the value will be less, and you will be upside down. So much for just having a fixer-upper that is fun to drive. Now to justify the cost of the parts, you need a pristine concours car that you can’t drive- and to me that isn’t fun.
So now I get my fix restoring old Jaguars. An ignition switch with a chrome bezel is only about $150, and so on. I would prefer to restore an old 911, but it just isn’t worth it for a hobbyist.