Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Restoring 307407

I don’t see a torsion tube cover. …? There is your first modification. LOL

It’s called stucco. Makes you faster…not.

No update nor pictures to share, beside finding a bunch of wasp nests (better than rats right?).

Sheet Metal:

The car is undergoing wash and disassembly to understand what we have to deal with and which panels, beside the floors, will need to be replaced.
    I believe I will also need to replace the tank support (since we are in there) and I need to understand if the left rocker is salvageable. I know this is a hard part to replace.

I have read an article on Panorama (I think) of someone who did the rust repair on his blue (I believe) 911 by himself, over the winter, and I am glad I am not attempting.

In the order, I will need to acquire
    Floor panels and tank support at minimum (restoration by Design will be my source)
    Gasket kit ( Here https://www.aasesales.com/products/noloc-115408 )
    Hardware kit (bolts and nuts, probably also from here https://www.aasesales.com/collections/hardware-1 )

I know some of you recommended Porsche Delaware, I wrote to them in search of help. It is very time consuming to search on different websites and I can't be the first one who needs to repaint a 67.

Drivetrain
    I have found an older gentlemen locally who will perform the rebuild. The engine is not out of the car so it is early to speak.

At minimum I will want to re-do the gearbox/synchros since they are in unknown shape (and I am pick when shifting)
    Engine wise, I want to understand 1) what parts do we have in the car 2) conditions of cams, pistons, cylinder walls etc. I say 1 is important because I believe this car was autocrossed in the past and that is often the case that parts get "upgraded". Depending how much of 2) will need to be replaced, I will decide how to make the car "peppier".

I did some research and found that 67 have better headers from the 911 S but milder cams. Is this true? If so, putting some 65 or 66 cams will give her 10 extra ponies which I do not mind.

But let's take it easy.

Suspension

I looked at Rebel Racing stuff, it looks amazing but probably overkill for what I need. All bushings will need to be replaced obviously. And shocks and probably improving the sway bars with some 930 parts.

Me personally, I would like to try to recover some history of the car but do not know where to start. How would I find previous owners?

A 67 normal absolutely does not have better headers than an S . In fact , headers for a normal have restrictors so the difference between a normal and an S would be greater . Use S cams or an equivalent .

Excuse my poor English, what I meant to say is that a 67 has better headers ( identical I believe to the 1967 911 S) than a 65 or 66 but does not have better cams than a 65 or 66. And does not have the cams of a 911 S for sure.

I may still be wrong, but this actually represents my thought.

Exciting day! Ordering the floors today

Quote Originally Posted by HDA View Post
    Excuse my poor English, what I meant to say is that a 67 has better headers ( identical I believe to the 1967 911 S) than a 65 or 66 but does not have better cams than a 65 or 66. And does not have the cams of a 911 S for sure.

I may still be wrong, but this actually represents my thought.
    To help clarify, the '67 headers have two versions. The unrestricted S type and the Normal type which outwardly look like the S, but have internal restrictors as Richy mentions.

yes that is also what i know. is it true that the 67 911 S headers add 10hp?

Myflat6 and Simonjjb in this forum recently completed major restorations, with detailed picture and narrative; some of the best. You may want to go through those two threads and make careful notes. Will come very handy down your restoration journey.

Best wishes.
    1972 911E Targa, Mostly Original
    2002 Porsche 996 C4 Cabriolet
    2005 Turbo-converted MINI Cooper S

Quote Originally Posted by Bahman View Post
    Myflat6 and Simonjjb in this forum recently completed major restorations, with detailed picture and narrative; some of the best. You may want to go through those two threads and make careful notes. Will come very handy down your restoration journey.

Best wishes.
    Thanks for the callout however, my thread is actually found over on Rennlist here https://rennlist.com/forums/911-foru...rod-build.html

Heads-up that my build is a hotrod and not meant to be concours, and you will also see that the build took many turns so if you care to read through the lengthy thread, you will see what I mean. It should at least provide entertainment to readers lol - a true novice learning along the way and often times the hard way!
    Bill

Early 911S Registry Member #4087
    Instagram: @myflat6

'72T hotrod 210 0228
    '82SC Targa
    '97C4S (sold - and regretting it)