Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: VIN from a secret number ?

Xavier Petit-Jean-Boret Xavier PJB's Avatar
    Fully agree. For my 68 911L Porsche France was always keen to help, however there is now way Porsche France will give away any information if you are not the owner.

Quote Originally Posted by LongRanger View Post
    I went through the process of verifying a vehicle through Porsche some years, ago . . .
    https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...l=1#post624807

Even at that time, Porsche's willingness to furnish information was already becoming difficult. So, to shortcut any reservations on their part, I supplied complete photographic information on the vehicle --- several VINs, engine + trans #s, production number . . . as well as proof of my ownership of the vehicle

I don't know why Porsche has made this information so difficult to get --- 'kardexes' seem to be readily available for vehicles built up to '69 . . . but, in my case, at least, a simple direct honest request made by a documented owner received a prompt, courteous, and comprehensive response

The 'take-away' for me was that Porsche will assist an owner to wanting to document their vehicle; anyone else? . . . not-so-much

My advice to everyone who has an Early 911 is to avail yourselves of whatever assistance Porsche can offer to document your cars, while any assistance is available --- regardless of the effort, inconvenience, or cost involved . . . and regardless of the year or model of car

Honestly? --- you never know what other information might show up . . .
    https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...l=1#post624807

O-G 26 - Early911S 2407

Well here are the numbers I 've got from the current owner :
    Title VIN and riveted front trunk plate indicates : 9110201202
    Secret number (ashtray location) : 1290718
    engine stamped number : 62023078
    Name:  IMG_1160.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  164.9 KBName:  IMG_1159.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  182.2 KBName:  IMG_1156.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  78.0 KBName:  IMG_1055.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  90.3 KBName:  IMG_1051.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  138.3 KB
    O-G 26 - Early911S 2407

it is very easy to see that the shell is a 69 since it is different in many areas compared to a 70.. the last pic in post 22 already gives it away

Any pictures of the smuggler box and wiring harness connectors in the engine bay?

None of those.

Quote Originally Posted by fgmec View Post
    Any pictures of the smuggler box and wiring harness connectors in the engine bay?
    O-G 26 - Early911S 2407

The Other 'Secret Number' . . .

. . . on the access port at the rear of the transmission tunnel. . .
    https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...l=1#post597394

(Notice also that there are other numbers specifically associated with Karmann-built shells)

Attached Images Attached Images  

We Can Be Heroes

Yes, the body is certainly a 1969 Karmann built chassis; could even be a 912 originally. It is possible to find the original VIN, but really to no useful purpose I would think. This usually is a case of hiding a stolen car, so that opens up a can of worms. I recently assisted a DMV officer in a case, but thankfully the insurance company that paid the claim 50 years ago had no further interest so the car was retitled with it's original VIN for the current owner.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

am not following on that car. Maybe the VIN and numbers posted here may help someone to find a "forgotten" car.

All the best and again thanks to everyone here.
    O-G 26 - Early911S 2407