Thread: Advice Requested: Repair minor scratch on dash below speedometer

Advice Requested: Repair minor scratch on dash below speedometer

I have a minor scratch on the dash below speedometer. What product would be best to repair it? This is on a 73 911E Targa I have owned since new.

Thanks,
    Jim

Name:  IMG_2650.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  102.4 KB
    1973 911E Targa
    Firemist Cognac

Unless you are looking for a concours repair, a black felt-tipped pen blended with your finger might make it less obvious and may be worth trying???
    1972 911T Targa
    1985 911 Carrera (with circa 1988 RUF 3.4L 260 hp DIN Engine Kit)

I see a few options.
    I just did one yesterday.

Option 1:
    a. Remove all the gauges and sand with 400
    or 600, clean with klean-strip prep-all,
    b. Do some careful taping off
    c. Paint with a SEM black, I prefer SEM satin black.
    SEM is very forgiving, they have several blacks, and if it doesn’t meet your standards, do a light sand and try again. It dries fast.( just do a mist coat, watch how it goes on, do another mist coat, let dry, check it out, maybe a light sand again and repeat, just don’t get the coats to heavy and over wet, just work up to it)
    ( The best paint is zero rust black, but it is heavy coat, and takes a full day to dry)( and harder to fix)
    d. Fix some other things…and put stuff back together.

If you take out your gauges, take photos of the wires, and add LED lighting.

Option 2:
    Similar to above, just don’t take anything apart, and do a real good job taping things off. And just paint that small triangle area.

I usually do option one the best I can, so it’s good for another 50 Yrs.
    Your tach is hard to remove, unless you take out the steering wheel and the covers.
    Last edited by Scott A; 05-18-2024 at 01:03 PM.

Current long term ownership: 63 Cab, 71 911, 74 914

what Scott said is the ticket

I appreciate the advice from experts. Thanks!

Jim
    1973 911E Targa
    Firemist Cognac

Black felt tip marker & just blend it in. 51,00 miles? It’s such a small blemish.
    To err is human; to blame it on someone else is more human...

"You must always strive to be the best, but you must never believe that you are."
    —Juan Manuel Fangio[48]

”What would PORSCHE do”

67 911 de Luxe, 356 B silver metallic / brown interior, ( buck skin really ) 67 PORSCHE [ built ] 912, Crystal blue, black interior, 72 T, Silver metallic/black interior, appearance group,factory AC.