Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Which Wheel to Buy??

Quote Originally Posted by John Fusco
    Greg;

Is that wood on the dash of your T ?

John
    No, just vinyl. It's called 'russette leatherette' and nearly impossible to come by these days, at least according to Original Fit Interiors. I'd like to find some, or something close, to put on the radio faceplate.
    Greg DuPertuis

1972 911T
    Leesburg, VA

Harry: Diameter? I thought that all of these wheels were the same, smaller, diameter than the original factory wheels. Hmmm. I'll have to ask Mike to measure it. I'll let you know. I am getting tired of hitting my legs on the bottom of the wheel as I get in, and I am not that big!!! Getting some extra space and a bit of Hot Rod will feel good.

Tom: So, is that "special" wheel of yours for sale?? I got confused in your telling your tale. Didn't know if this one was for sale, and you're using the one you bought on ebay or . . . .

Exec: Yes, I spent a lot of energy getting Kermit back to original, but it only takes 15 minutes (right?) to change the wheel back from Prototipo to Factory, and no harm done. Also, this isn't a new Momo wheel, it's a 30 year old Prototipo!! So, it isn't such a travesty. But I do appreciate your comment.

larry
    Early 911S Registry Member #537

73 - Viper Green 911E Targa - Kermit - Gone but not forgotten

Kermit's Short Story and Pix on the 911E Website

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC

Quote Originally Posted by larry47us
    Harry: Diameter? I thought that all of these wheels were the same, smaller, diameter than the original factory wheels. Hmmm. I'll have to ask Mike to measure it. I'll let you know. I am getting tired of hitting my legs on the bottom of the wheel as I get in, and I am not that big!!! Getting some extra space and a bit of Hot Rod will feel good.

Tom: So, is that "special" wheel of yours for sale?? I got confused in your telling your tale. Didn't know if this one was for sale, and you're using the one you bought on ebay or . . . .

Exec: Yes, I spent a lot of energy getting Kermit back to original, but it only takes 15 minutes (right?) to change the wheel back from Prototipo to Factory, and no harm done. Also, this isn't a new Momo wheel, it's a 30 year old Prototipo!! So, it isn't such a travesty. But I do appreciate your comment.

larry
    Larry,

Overwhelming, isn't it?

Be sure you move the spring and bearing on the original hub onto your new hub or your next question will be about your wobbly steering wheel.

Have fun. Get the Nardi.
    Harry

Member #789
    1970 VW Sunroof Kombi Bus - "The Magic Bus"
    1973.5 911T Targa for fun - "Smokey"
    2009 MB C300

Hey Larry,

Are you now suitably confused? I have a sot spot for MOMO; bought a Prototipo in '72 for a BMW 2002tii and along with a set of Campagnolo magnesium "Electron" wheels and a pair of Oscars on the front bumper, I (thought) I was the undisputed King of aftermarket KOOL! I later bought a MOMO Alpina steering wheel (which I still have!) and advertised the Prototipo
    for 35 bucks in the BMW Roundel. IMHO the matte finish MOMO looks "like it belongs" in an early 911. I wish I had the tii back; zero to sixty in 9 point whatever seemed awfull quick for a sedan in 19 and 72.

Jim
    SWBGRUPPE
    Dues Paid Member #279

I'm surprised there isn't more in this thread about the 930S wheel, and its variants in the aftermarket and on the 968...

I like stuff that's a little unique and no longer produced. Here's an early flat Momo with Jackie Stewart's sig on the lower spoke. It will probably go into the '68 2.5 after a little freshening up.

The 930s is a fairly modern style, but really nice. I use the GT3R Porsche Momo wheel in my daily driver, but I wouldn't use it in my earlier cars....track car maybe.

Zitronengelb R1012 the RatBasterd
    RGruppe #183

Jared Rundell - Registered User JCR's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rs911t
    No, just vinyl. It's called 'russette leatherette' and nearly impossible to come by these days, at least according to Original Fit Interiors. I'd like to find some, or something close, to put on the radio faceplate.
    Greg - saw these on theEbay... may be what you need re: russette?
    Don't know if I'd be able to cut them though.
    auction link
    (sorry for being OT).
    Jared
    '73 911S #0793
    '69 912_ #0602
    Early S #0454
    RGruppe #0391

I'm a bit of a steering wheel addict - I have ~30 at last count !

Here's a group shot of some of those mentioned so far:

My favourites are the early 380mm Monza (as posted by GeorgeK earlier):

& the early 350mm flat Prototipo:

Andy

Early 911S Reg #753
    R Gruppe #105

Quote Originally Posted by andyjboy
    I'm a bit of a steering wheel addict - I have ~30 at last count !

Here's a group shot of some of those mentioned so far:
    Andy:

No wonder these are so hard to find . . . . . YOU HAVE THEM ALL!!!!

Great collection!!!!

larry
    Early 911S Registry Member #537

73 - Viper Green 911E Targa - Kermit - Gone but not forgotten

Kermit's Short Story and Pix on the 911E Website

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC

Tom (Sithot) that wheel is exactly the same as the one I put in my car (including the #1). I always thought it was a very early prototipo?!?!!
    Renn-Spot - Cars & parts For Sale - http://renn-spot.blogspot.com/
    1970 911"S" - Black (originally silver)
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    1973 911"T" - Bahia Red - Now Sold
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439