Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MSD Box and Blaster Coil Wiring Question

1971 911T with MSD6AL and SS blaster coil
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Do you get significative improvment ?

Regards,

FWIW, Warren Hall made a post on Pelican suggesting the use of the MSD "high vibration" blaster coil. MSD part number is 8222. This coil doesn't have to be mounted in an upright position, so it can be placed atop the fan in the same position as the factory coil. It is also compatible with the factory CD unit or the MSD unit. Too cheap to buy a factory coil until I need one, I carry the MSD 8222 as an emergency spare. An added bonus to me is that the #8222 MSD coil is black in color.
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Pwd72S,
    The MSD coil housing may be black, but it still has those cheesy graphics all over it. I was thinking of peeling the decal off so it looks more stock.

gruen911,

Did you install yet?

zaza,

Yes, improvement on low end, no more fouled plugs, starts and idles better when cold. I think my gas mileage is going up to. Too soon to tell though.
    Early 911S Registry #472
    1968 S - #477
    Mostly Stock

Gruen,

I have the MSD on both my 67 and 68 SWB cars. Very big improvment at low end, idle and start up. I have not had plug problems either. As far as the wireing goes, it is pretty simple. Put the large red wire to the starter pos terminal. This will give it plenty of juice then make a good ground connection to the engine or the factory area by the fuel pump. The smaller black and orange go to the coil (you must use the MSD coil as it is matched to the CD unit. Do not use a Bosch Blue or other type). The small red is for switched voltage so this will go to the pos wire that went to the pos side of your coil before. The white wire goes to the points, although you should just order pertronix and follow their instructions on that. YOu will need to call them as most books say they do not make them for the early cars...they do now. You will need the tack adapter for you tack to work this goes to thepurple wire and there will be a few "Y" connections for power. I think I set my plugs to 1.40mm and am using Bosch Coppers. I like the way Ron on Pelican did the set up on the side...I have mine on the firewall, buit have thoughts of moving it over. You may also want to install Magnacore wires and get rid of the junk Berus that are stock on there. Unfortunately they are red instead of black...but they work well. I can do picts later, but most of the wiring is hidden and in casings so there is not much to see. Also, if you want to save a bit of money and do not track the car, you can get the MSD 6A instead of the AL. This does not have the rev limiter and you will maintain your rotor limiting device...not quite as smooth, but it works fine.
    Michael
    '56 T-1 356 bent window coupe...
    68 911L Burgandy Red R Gruppe #388
    72 911S Coupe, Sepia Brown

Quote Originally Posted by gruen911
    Pwd72S,
    The MSD coil housing may be black, but it still has those cheesy graphics all over it. I was thinking of peeling the decal off so it looks more stock.
    I did...keeping only the "complies with smog krap" decal provided.
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)