Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Climb to the Clouds 2011

Yeah, I pretty much got this Michigan to New Hampshire route dialed in

Luke - it's a 15MPH speed limit with not much margin for error. It would have been good for some photo ops, but not that much fun for our type of driving.

Check out this pic: it's a tube-frame Sunbeam Tiger. I snapped a quick pic of it because I have 2 friends who own them. As he went by me (about 200 yards off the start) his wheel let loose. You can even see the lugnut spinning in the foreground. He's damn lucky it happened where it did and not up the mountain.

You'll figure it out. I know you will.........

scramble...........

peekaboo.......

though to start. atmosferic pressure to blame........

"objects in the mirro......." hell with that, it is too late. move over..........
    Attached Images Attached Images

Gytis
    1967 911 matching numbers car ( sold )
    1968 911T/R #0805 (SONDERWUNCH AUSSERH DER M.LISTE NR184****) SOLD
    1969 911E MFI matching ALL numbers SOLD
    1981 911 Target 4K ( SHIFT trip-Nürburgring-SPA and SOLD )
    1986 930 "Carnivore" ( "while I'm there" mode )

Gytis and Jim were leaving the mountain late one night in his 'slightly' modified 930 Turbo. I was standing in the parking lot with my buddy (who is a Sheriff) looking up at the road. I said watch Gytis light this thing up. He did not disappoint

The visor: Michele Mouton/Hannu Mikkola/John Buffum/Stig Blomqvist

I sold my 81 urq a couple of months ago to a friend. He let his 18 year old son drive it to the event as a graduation gift. It did not end all that well for him. He was screwing around with something and forgot to latch the hood pins. At about 50MPH, he suddenly remembered this little detail. Oh well, it was a nice car.

aa IMGP1278.jpg
    aa IMGP1264.jpg
    aa IMGP1356.jpg
    aa IMGP1365.jpg
    aa IMGP1199.jpg

Last edited by CurtEgerer; 06-29-2011 at 06:19 PM.

Wow... great, great photos.
    Man, am I ever feeling crappy to have missed this event.

... but it's good to know you guys got together and had such a great time.
    Last edited by Mark Morrissey; 07-03-2011 at 05:49 PM.
    I have a website now:
    www.markmorrissey.org

Instagram: @Mark0Morrissey

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Morrissey View Post
    Man, am I ever feeling crappy to have missed this event.

I am however really happy you guys got together and had such a great time.
    I was only forty minutes away.... no excuse.....
    86 Sport Purpose Carrera "O4"

Hey, cool. It's Woodstock (the BMW 2002). Perennial class winners at the Targa Newfoundland.
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

Quote Originally Posted by Macroni View Post
    Next year???????
    Not likely that this event will run again for years. Subaru and their team Vermont Sports Car organized and sponsored this event. Their goal was for David Higgins and Subaru to set a new record and they did that. They have nothing to gain by running the event again.

Here's the general conspiracy theory: The event was scheduled the same weekend as Pikes Peak. Coincidence? Don't want any of those pesky open-class cars from PP ruining the fun for Subaru, right? The event was invitation-only. Current record holder Frank Sprongl was disqualified from the event, despite the organizers billing this as a showdown between Audi and Subaru. He set the record 11 years ago in his S2 quattro. That car is being rebuilt and when the organizer's found out Frank was bringing his much faster Group B A2 quattro, it was quickly disqualified for the bolt-in cage. Nobody is saying VSC cheated, they just stacked the deck in their favor.

Curt, I think you hit the nail on the head with this theory. 4 cyl against 5 cyl not a chance, too bad they didn't let Frank run.

Curt

Thanks for the photos and the report on the event. It was a great time and good to see You and everyone. I've been wanting to attend one of these infrequent events for many years. Meeting up with everyone just made it all that much better. Now that you know the way, I hope we'll be seeing you out this way again soon.

Dana
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    '72T 2.7 RS spec race car
    '79SC 3.6 ltr. hot rod
    '06 BMW 530xi

Dana, that was really an added bonus for me to have all the Porsche boyz show up I'd like to make it to Limerock next weekend, but 3 trips in less than 2 months might peg me as a drug runner with the border patrol!