Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: back dating guards - good idea / bad idea

Contact Dave at TRE, I believe he was working on producing this part in metal to weld on as an extension.

John,
    To answer your question. C. I would use the late fenders with boxes added. I think you'll have a much better fender than fixing an old one. I have seen it done and that is the way I am going to do mine. The problem as you say is finding the signal boxes.
    I haven't had any experience with aftermarket fenders and I'm not a body man.
    Maybe one of them will reply with real experience.....
    H

Xavier Petit-Jean-Boret Xavier PJB's Avatar
    I bought second hand 1973 front guards and put them instead of the 3.2 ones. The alternative is to melt a piece of steel to fill the gap, it works. not my choice.
    I have almost completly backdated to 1973 my 1984. If I can help.
    The signals came from a 1973 T, the front bumper is NOS RS 73 like with a front cooler. The front hood is fiber glass from DP Moris in Fr.

In UK, RS Tecknik (Paul Stephens) proposes some kit also. In FR D. Moris is doing complete backdate kit, also www.rosepassion.com do so.
    Xavier
    Last edited by Xavier PJB; 10-17-2012 at 10:48 PM.
    O-G 26 - Early911S 2407

ok , so if i made a metal one peice item that could weld straight onto a 74+ guard making it a pre 74 look that would help , will look at this over the next month
    John Gausden
    Auckland, New Zealand

(shipping carson,CA)
    Early911nz.org
    ST-Classic.com
    ST-Classic Facebook
    "Funding my obsession one nut at a time"

John, this works well if you have (not uncommonly...) a good set of '74-89 fenders, and a pair of '69-73 fenders with rusted dog legs and or headlight buckets (or other damage)...as long as they have the good turn signal boxes

I don't even think there is a need for the 'joining' piece; the signal box should weld straight onto the later fender. Of course you will need to remove the galvanize at the weld joint, but other than that I believe it is actually rather straightforward...

That's what was done here...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by YTNUKLR; 10-23-2012 at 04:58 PM.
    scott kinder
    kindersport@gmail.com

Registry #614

9110220587 - 1973 RSR revival in progress
    My Car Thread: "Five-Eighty-Seven..."
    “If it isn't there, it didn't cost anything, it doesn't weigh anything and can't break." - From the philosophy of Grady Clay

John,

If you were looking at producing some, I would by a pair and I'm sure the Group Sb boys would probably grab some spares for their race cars.

Cheers

Tim
    Tim Pritchard

1970 911S (resto underway) http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ge-1970S-resto
    1976 Carrera 3.0 Group Sc Race Car
    1969 911T Group Sb Race Car (Sold to a good home)

Definitely a seller!
    John Forcier
    EarlyS #1987
    1968 911 Race Car "Grun Hilda"
    1969 S/T interpretation "Blau Healer"
    Restoration Saga