Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Restoration question

Restoration question

Hi guys,

Quick question in. re. my 71' S resto.

I'm getting ready to paint the car and I'm trying to decide what to do the front trunk. Presently it has the original Signal Orange overspray with undercoat showing though and the usual black brushed over the shock towers.

Problem is I have a little surface rust on the suspension pan that I've taken off and put Por-15 over. I'm thinking maybe I should just prime in the green undercoat color and do a light overspray of the Signal Orange or should I just spray the whole trunk in a good coat of Signal Orange?

What do you think, simulate the factory look or a good coat of Signal Orange?
    Bobby
    71' Olive 2.2E Targa / Early S #491

I've always considered the glass to be half full...that is until I reached middle age and realized that it is actually half empty.

Yes I grappled with that problem also, here is what I did just haven't added the black tar to the shock towers yet. It matches the quality on the outside.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Clyde Boyer

1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed
    1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed my first ever 911 (1995)

Early S Registry Member #294
    First Aussie R Gruppe Member #366
    TYP 901 Register Inc #6

Registry member# 206 fourteenten's Avatar

same thing

Before (sorry for the bad quality of the pic) and after, but not finished yet:

When I see a trunk like yours, Clyde ,it sure makes a strong argument for painting it. It looks so nice that you don't want to cover it with perlon felt.

Maybe I'll give a try at simulating the factory look on the places I need to touch up and if that doesn't work I'll paint the whole thing.
    Bobby
    71' Olive 2.2E Targa / Early S #491

I've always considered the glass to be half full...that is until I reached middle age and realized that it is actually half empty.

What I tried to do was completely replicate the factory finsih in regard to the body deadener and we got that just about perfect but I love the look of the glasurit perfect paint job in the trunk as well as on the car. I am going to brush over the shock towers with whatever that black gunk is to make it look more correct but I wanted a car that would get people to say "wow" when they looked everywhere thats why I painted the trunk that way. Its much the same underneath as well except for the body deadener.
    Clyde Boyer

1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed
    1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed my first ever 911 (1995)

Early S Registry Member #294
    First Aussie R Gruppe Member #366
    TYP 901 Register Inc #6

... got the WOW from me mate
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Clyde, I want to eat my morning eggs and bacon off of the bottom of your car.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Wow!!!!

Clyde,

When are you going to start on the detail work? (He says says tongue and cheek) WOW and DOUBLE WOW, nice work!!!!!!!!

All the best!

Roger Grago
    R Gruppe #27

Registry member# 206 fourteenten's Avatar

jealous

Clyde,

I am a bit jealous and I hope I can come close to the looks of your car when my RS is finished. BTW, which black paint did you use on the suspension parts? I have used Glasurit Rallyschwarz for the battery straps and VIN plate in the trunk, but I have the feeling it's to matt and I don't want to continue before I have the correct paint.

Thanks,

Cees

Yep, registry member!

Clyde,
    Truly beautiful restoration! I too am jealous..
    Bill Conway, Early S Registry member #254
    1970 S, 2.2L Silvermetallic Coupe
    1973 T, 3.2L Black Carrera Targa
    1969 T, 2.4L Silvermetallic Targa