Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vintage Plates

Vintage Plates

With the new program from the CA DMV for reissue of vintage plates, I am wondering what the going rate will be for original, unrestored vintage plates.

For example, I have a set of unrestored black/yellow 1963 plates ... what are they worth?
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

I haven't read the new policy recently, but my impression was that they wanted you to buy a new plate that looked similar, but not exact to the older black/yellow and blue/yellow versions. The new plate would be compliant with current specs - size, reflection, etc. As such, I wasn't motivated to process an application. Perhaps, the new vintage plate program has been revised. ?
    -Jim

'72 911T
    '02 B5 S4 (RS4 Clone)
    '12 997.2 Turbo Manual
    '19 B9 RS5 (Daily)

Just in case I ever do find a long-hood project I can afford, I'm hoarding a pair of plates for it. I ran them on my '71 240Z while I had it, and they are awaiting a Porsche - someday I hope.

Originally issued in '73, the style is correct for Oregon from '64 through late '73.

I would have to guess that original vintage plates would have to be worth more than modern replacements, as long as there is a way to run them with current registration.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by jloucks388 View Post
    I haven't read the new policy recently, but my impression was that they wanted you to buy a new plate that looked similar, but not exact to the older black/yellow and blue/yellow versions. The new plate would be compliant with current specs - size, reflection, etc. As such, I wasn't motivated to process an application. Perhaps, the new vintage plate program has been revised. ?
    Does anyone have a comparison of the older vs the re-pops in California black? I would be interested to see differences.
    E911SR #2107
    69 911T/S SWT 3.2L
    RG #384

Marco-I bought an original pair of Calif black plates in excellent condition (Did not need restoring) for $100 off of ebay. These were verified clear to use plates by DMV.

California 'GTO' . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Mr9146 View Post
    . . . I have a set of unrestored black/yellow 1963 plates ... what are they worth? . . .
    Depends

General condition . . . bends/pinches/etc?
    Letter sequence . . . corresponds to particular years
    Reg stickers . . . the earlier the better --- + nice if they match the car that they're going on
    Paint . . . original or not

I've seen vendors advertise pairs of garbage-quality take-offs starting ~$200, but . . .

. . . if you're the Guy w/ a '63 something-or-t'other, that you've just blown your home equity line to restore? . . .

. . . then a matching pair of un-scrunched OG black-plates w/ an intact '63 or '64 sticker showing will not be a problem @ $1k+

I'm sure any Brits here will have a story to share --- about plate costs

Here's mine

Bought my old Pontiac from a Guy who had a buddy in CA DMV. Guy was on the look-out for his old high school convertible and, so, after a coupla months . . . they actually found it

So Guy then has his buddy watch CA's personal plates register --- to let him know when/if/by chance . . . . a certain personal plate ever fell off of the current registration list and, so, after a coupla years etc etc

His high school car? A Pontiac. A GTO

Plate? = same-same

Now, this was 30 years ago, but --- even Back Then . . . . there was some Ferrari Guy who had a certain car he really-really wanted that plate for

$10k . . . and Guy turned him down --- flat

Wonder where that plate is now?
    Last edited by LongRanger; 07-24-2014 at 12:01 PM.

We Can Be Heroes

Quote Originally Posted by jloucks388 View Post
    The new plate would be compliant with current specs - size, reflection, etc. As such, I wasn't motivated to process an application. Perhaps, the new vintage plate program has been revised. ?
    Nope. Still the same. Really takes away from the vintage look/feel.

Quote Originally Posted by LongRanger View Post
    Depends

General condition . . . bends/pinches/etc?
    Letter sequence . . . corresponds to particular years
    Reg stickers . . . the earlier the better --- + nice if they match the car that they're going on
    Paint . . . original or not

I've seen vendors advertise pairs of garbage-quality take-offs starting ~$200, but . . .

. . . if you're the Guy w/ a '63 something-or-t'other, that you've just blown your home equity line to restore? . . .

. . . then a matching pair of un-scrunched OG black-plates w/ an intact '63 or '64 sticker showing will not be a problem @ $1k+

I'm sure any Brits here will have a story to share --- about plate costs

Here's mine

Bought my old Pontiac from a Guy who had a buddy in CA DMV. Guy was on the look-out for his old high school convertible and, so, after a coupla months . . . they actually found it

So Guy then has his buddy watch CA's personal plates register --- to let him know when/if/by chance . . . . a certain personal plate ever fell off of the current registration list and, so, after a coupla years etc etc

His high school car? A Pontiac. A GTO

Plate? = same-same

Now, this was 30 years ago, but --- even Back Then . . . . there was some Ferrari Guy who had a certain car he really-really wanted that plate for

$10k . . . and Guy turned him down --- flat

Wonder where that plate is now?
    Thanks for the info; thought you'd be the one to answer my question.

As for personalized plate stories, the rumor has it that the Dunkels bought the "PORSCHE" plate for Cheryl's Carrera from some guy who had it on his Toyota pickup truck. I think there was a comma in the purchase price...30 years ago.
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

The YOM vintage plate registration and the reissue of vintage plates are two separate DMV programs. All Calif black plates have 1963 embossed into them. That was the year that the black plates were introduced.

Quote Originally Posted by gsjohnson View Post
    The YOM vintage plate registration and the reissue of vintage plates are two separate DMV programs. All Calif black plates have 1963 embossed into them. That was the year that the black plates were introduced.
    Which is why you need a correct YOM sticker on the plate for the year to use that program.