Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: '70 914-6 in Tangerine Life Long Pursuit

'70 914-6 in Tangerine Life Long Pursuit

Been looking for a 914-6 my whole life, well maybe since I was 16! Used to drive by a '70 914-6 in silver throughout the '70's even when I had a '73 914 2.0 just would get out of my car and walk around it and just dream (price tag on it was $10,000 in 1981. Now I am guy who grew up watching my uncle start up his '65 vette and peel rubber on his way to work. This was along with my 2 older brothers and that is what started us on our quest for owning our own sports cars. The opening scene in the movie Le Mans was similar to what we viewed every morning out in New Rochelle, NY when we visited my fathers family even though it was a '65 vette it made the same impression on us. I found this 914-6 out in West Virginia, it first showed up on The PCA website in January 2012 and was probably under priced, well the seller got spooked with all the responses and requests and withdrew the for sale ad. Lucky for me I was one of the first to respond and got several pictures, email and phone number. I stayed in contact with the owner over the next 2 years via email and received an email this past January saying he was ready to sell and wanted me to have the first shot at it. Wow! We agreed on a price and I flew out to Dulles and was told not to rent a car because he was going to pick me up at the airport (remember we never met before!). It was a 45 minute drive back to his house in WV and guess what there was not one minute of silence even though he was a Florida Gator and I was a Univ. of South Florida Bull we really hit it off, I could tell he was really happy I was getting the car. When we reached his driveway it took 5 minutes to get back to his Pole Barn which was situated on 10 acres, the barn had 2 racecars (corvairs) and a mid 80's Carrera that was showroom condition plus the 914-6. We shook on the deal and he did not want a deposit (imagine that!), oh, and he said I could leave it in storage as long as I needed and just bring a check when you pick it up. This guy was old school, you know a handshake meant everything to him (you know I wanted to give him a deposit and get it in writing!).

The car came with the original 2.0 engine but currently has a '76 911 2.7 installed and it is awesome!! My '71 Targa is not getting any attention lately, just the minimum to keep the fluids moving through. Needless to say this purchase was almost fairytale like because it is hard to believe that this car is sitting in my driveway.

Car is original paint (90%) tangerine, has 7" x 15" all around in original RS finish, interior is original carpet, I added the houndstooth (thanks to some early911s members)inserts also came with original Blaupunkt Frankfurt AM/FM, steering wheel (in storage) and tool kit. It is a great car and the most photographed car (at intersections) I have ever owned. I will be bringing it to French Lick in 2015 hope to see you there! Enjoy the pictures! Forgot! all 4 fenders have been rolled to accommodate the wider rims, it was very well done.

IMG_2600.jpgIMG_2590.jpgIMG_2591.jpgIMG_2597.jpgIMG_2599.jpg
    Last edited by mfitton; 08-04-2014 at 06:21 AM.
    Mike Fitton # 2071
    2018 911S Carrera White
    2012 991 Platinum Silver ( Gone)
    1971 911T Targa Bahia Red (Gone to France)
    1995 911 Carrera Polar Silver (Gone)

No Affiliation with City of Chicago!

Mike Fitton # 2071
    2018 911S Carrera White

Your 914-6 looks beautiful.
    I can only imagine with the 2.7 it is much fun to drive.

I have always loved the looks of 914-6's, and think they they perfectly define the 1970's look.
    They should be much more valuable.

Banned
    Cool car; mine could be its ugly twin. Definitely more enjoyable with some HP. The stock 2.0 is laughable. Well done.

Friendly FYI: Those are 7's on the rear, not 8's.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Beck View Post
    Cool car; mine could be its ugly twin. Definitely more enjoyable with some HP. The stock 2.0 is laughable. Well done.

Friendly FYI: Those are 7's on the rear, not 8's.
    Can't get anything passed you Frank!
    Mike Fitton # 2071
    2018 911S Carrera White

Thanks for sharing! It's pretty much the perfect 914-6!
    Member No. 2861
    @p911r on Instagram

As I noted in the previous (accidentally deleted) thread, I'd love to drive that car, despite my wife's opinion that 914s are less than beautiful. Great car!

And if you should decide to sell the Targa, please keep me in mind..
    - Arne
    Current - 2018 718 Cayman, Rhodium Silver, PDK

Sold - 1972 911T coupe, Silver Metallic; 1984 911 Carrera coupe, Chiffon white; 1973 914 2.0, Saturn Yellow; 1984 944, Silver Metallic

Love your 6. My first Porsche was a 70 914-6 back in 1975...Burgundy. Paid $8500 for it

Quote Originally Posted by gsjohnson View Post
    Love your 6. My first Porsche was a 70 914-6 back in 1975...Burgundy. Paid $8500 for it
    I didn't know they came in burgundy. Love to see a pic of that.
    If you had kept it pristine and original, would probably sell for $85,000 now at least.
    Zed

It was all stock except for the Euro lenses and the polished Fuchs. Yes, the only one I have ever seen in that color. I'd have to dig to see if I can come up with a pic. Probably a special order paint car, but I wasn't savvy enough to know back then.