Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: so who bought a motorcycle later in life?

Not later in life however used to ride learning as a Sophomore in college and riding thru the mid-2000s. The use of phones and all the infotainment systems in the cars now scare the heck out of me. I still love motorcycles and thankfully my wife still allows me to keep them even though I don't use them. I now only plan to ride on dirt trails and track days.

IMG_20200913_175605.jpg
    Early 911S Registry #3811
    '70 911S Coupe Tangerine
    Instagram @turkis.tii

Unhappy

Have been riding off and on for 50+ years.

I build this flat track bike in high school, registered and rode it regularly. Traded it for a car so I could drive to community college.

Bought the Champion frame from Doug Schwerma and the hubs and disks from Sandy Kosman.

Sorry for the terrible pic. It think I left the film in the Kodak Instamatic for a few years too many

I’m looking far a bike presently.

ADC5C92B-360C-4474-930B-9811935DD4E4.jpeg
    Bill
    1969 911T - sold
    2001 911 Turbo - sold
    1996 911 C4S - returned
    1982 911SC - gone
    1960 356 Roadster - sold

Quote Originally Posted by one-two View Post
    Nice trailer Haul - quite substantial for a single bike
    I never trust these light weight trailers...they jump on the road when empty and I feel more comfortable with a substantial trailer having a 10k+ USD bike on the back...

br
    59 750 pre unit triton
    63 650 gray silver bikinitub triumph thunderbird
    70 650 astralred silver triumph bonneville
    65 912 slate gray "erwin"
    73 914 ravennagreen "ferdl"
    erwin_loves_polo

Quote Originally Posted by haul View Post
    I never trust these light weight trailers...they jump on the road when empty and I feel more comfortable with a substantial trailer having a 10k+ USD bike on the back...

br
    [QUOTE=haul;1074164]I never trust these light weight trailers...they jump on the road when empty and I feel more comfortable with a substantial trailer having a 10k+ USD bike on the back...

I agree, back in the early 70’s when I was motocrossing I bought a used home built 3 rail trailer. It was very light weight, didn’t even have fenders or lights! The real kicker (pun intended), was the solid axle with NO suspension! When empty it seemed to fly more than it rolled. Pulling it behind my Datsun roadster was quite a trip when it would launch a foot or so in the air after hitting a large bump.
    1969 911S
    1969 Datsun 2000...worth less, but more valuable

Always forget to take a picture of the new ride, so just my two cents. Been riding dirt bikes since I was 10, mostly Bultaco’s. Sherpa T’s. Started riding on the street when I was 35. Mostly BMW’s and Ducati’s. Now new BMW and still competing in Trials with my Gas Gas. Try to take one fairly long trip each year, starting in CA, but this year has been strange as we all know.

Quote Originally Posted by mathieulecomte View Post
    Yes, I ride too - some are small, some are bigger..

Attachment 524574
    Solex Micron?

Mine is red and not road legal.
    It was designed for teach young kids the basics of driving, into schools.

IMG_4220.jpgIMG_4225.jpgIMG_4227.jpgIMG_4228.jpgCleaned up and ready for winter hibernation.
    Mark Curtin
    Early S Registry #369
    Rgruppe #247

'72 911T 3,0 liter MFI Albert Blue street/DE toy Jeff Higgins's Avatar
    Hmmm... interesting thread - it's great to see so many of you riding. Myself, I've been riding since 1976, and have accumulated an honest 600,000+ miles on various motorcycles. It's a huge part of me that I don't think I can ever give up. That said, I would be reluctant to encourage anyone to pick it up today - things have changed dramatically since I was learning. The single biggest issue that I've run into - quite literally - are the distracted drivers of today. One almost killed my wife and I back in 2013, when he rather unceremoniously ran us over with his F250 while we were innocently putting along on our Road King. "Never saw us" - of course he didn't - doing so would require he be looking out his windshield, rather than down at the cell phone in his lap... Anyway, whatever - I (we) are still riding. The current stable includes the replacement Road King (2013 model), my prized '93 Ducati 900SS hot-rod, a Sportster I bought in 1980 (that no longer has a single Harley-Davidson produced part anywhere inside of it), and my completely farkled-out Honda XR650L:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "God invented whisky so the Irish wouldn't rule the world."

Jeff,
    Very nice bikes.

I now want a new small 'dirt/street' bike so I can wander around the north Georgia trails and have motorized wheels to check out the road racing events (mostly Road Atlanta with the annual pass).

Georgia requires a motorcycle license. I have it from previous English Triumph's and Norton's (more fun than reliable).

I think a Bronco with a tent?

I can't get in trouble with a small Honda hung on the back of the SUV?
    Doc
    1972 Porsche 911
    2023 Porsche 911 Turbo
    2019 Ford Mustang Shelby GT350

My old 71 Husky 400. SMQ loved these too. Currently restoring a 70 and a 71. Huskies are a slippery slope!

8102582.jpg
    Last edited by MC71S; 12-18-2020 at 03:11 AM.