Page 73 of 109 FirstFirst ... 2363717273747583 ... LastLast

Thread: Ten Fifty-nine

More Aug 2014 . . .

Got to Carmel + our destination around dusk. Took some doing, too. Turns out that --- when it comes to house numbers/addresses . . . Carmel's aren't always/necessarily in numerical sequence. !!! Cell-coverage can be a bit iffy, as well, so . . . took us a while to communicate/navigate/find The Place

Worth it

This was my first airbnb deal. My Sister's been telling me about this outfit for years, and I've gone on their site before . . . and for Monterey, too. But always ended up going w/ one of the discount hotel/travel sites --- to save money/time/concerns about credit info + usual middle-class paranoia/etc. Anyway . . . . could not be more pleased w/ our experience. Not a hotel . . . .

. . . . soooo NOT

1) This is the view --------- from the driveway! And yeah . . . . that's the ocean. Can hear it, too

Tons of homes around. But, between the topography, the trees, and some really creative ways of situating structures + infrastructure . . . . you can't tell. And quiet. Nothing --- not a peep. Even the birds were quiet. So quiet --- we even whispered when we were inside

2) Nasty Car refuses get dirty. Ran like a train, too . . . w/ not a burp nor f@rt nor stumble to be heard. Fast, too --- w/ great ripping gobs of giddy-up, available on-demand . . . SMMTaGs allowing

3) Still smiling. And after a day in The Nasty Car. And --- Zovig hates it when I take her picture w/ her glasses on, too. Loved The Place

4) Provisioning. The Place came w/ a kitchenette + fridge . . . but I didn't bring Zovig up here to cook + clean. This week-end's been a loooong time coming, so . . . . we got us some few things to sip-&-nibble

5) G'night, Little Horsey
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by LongRanger; 08-30-2014 at 08:58 PM.

We Can Be Heroes

More Aug 2014 . . .

1) Rise-'n'-shine! . . .

2) . . . it's Show Time!!
    Actually followed This Little Guy in --- WAY more about 2014 Werks Reunion, here . . .
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...Werks-re-union
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...om-Monterey-14
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...TEREY-CAR-WEEK

3) Hhhhh
    Last edited by LongRanger; 08-30-2014 at 09:19 AM.

We Can Be Heroes

This Just In . . .

So, I'm sitting here, pulling together my thoughts + writing --- when a call comes in . . .

Mark Allbaugh --- PO #7

We haven't talked for a while, so --- we do some quick catching up . . .

Then Mark tells me that his boy Alex is back in school + working at a car wash --- + tells me a story

One day, this Guy comes in to the car wash --- older, fit, German . . . with a Bentley

So Alex sees the Guy's high-end car + chats him up, friendly . . .

Turns out the Guy used to be a Racer . . .

. . . for Porsche

So --- Alex mentions his Dad . . .

. . . + mentions Mr Siffert's car

Guy's floored

'. . . we were close friends . . .'

Now --- this all happened 2 weeks ago. And Alex never got a name

Henderson, NC

Anybody?

Looks Like I'm gonna start not-sleeping, again

We Can Be Heroes

Quote Originally Posted by friggens View Post
    . . . What a summer for Porsches!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!! . . .
    Sure is . . .

. . . and it's always good to hear from ya, Mike. Hope you're finding the time to do some driving. Still remember trippin' to Walgreen's in your S --- see post #5 . . .
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ighlight=green

. . . got me thinking about a GoPro . . .

BTW --- your mail box 's full

We Can Be Heroes

More Aug 2014 . . .

Left the Werks Reunion ~13:00

Zovig and I had already lost/ditched each other a coupla times, so --- before anybody got irritated/upset . . . I got us outta there. No way was I gonna let anything spoil our week-end

Besides . . . I was outta camera battery charge

JZG, USMC: '. . . . five (or was it six?) P's . . .

Hungry, too. Cheaped-out on the venue lunch deal when I signed-up. Then, by the time we went foraging by the Clubhouse --- where The Rumor was food could be had . . . all that was left were tube steaks

Uhhhh . . . Zovig doesn't eat tube steaks

Fine by me, so . . . back to The Place, pit-stop + nibble + change

1) The Place. Rustic

2) Zovig. Contemplating. Maybe nibbling . . . . . . OK probably nibbling

3) The Views. Fantastic

4) Inside The Place. One big room, basically. Plank floors, fireplace, West-facing walls all glass, patio w/ table + chairs. . . . and don't forget the sky light. Or the succulents

5) Curbside service --- Carmel style

The Place was separated from a main house by a small courtyard, paved w/ gravel . . . which was where we parked in the evenings. Thing was . . . I was pretty embarrassed every time we started 1059. And it's not like I've got some extra-horny-semi-raceroonie exhaust or anything. It's just that --- its sooooo quiet around there --- especially early in the mornings. I could never get us in/outta there fast enough, to try + cut-down on the commotion

Luckily, Our Host was very up on his cars . . . + happy to see/hear/smell our Nasty one

No curbs or sidewalks or that much of a road surface, really. Some of the corners, especially getting up there the first time, were down-right fiendish, almost traumatizing. + blind curves + general un-even/bumpitiness + pot holes. Kept 1059 in 1st all the way up + down w/ eyes very wide-open. Great way to warm 'er up, though. Man --- do these cars sound good or what?

Parking was an event. Road's waaaaay too narrow to even attempt a turn-around, so --- since the road ended a few hundred feet past The Place, anyway . . . I'd go up, do a Y-turn, come back down the hill, then have Zovig hop out/guide us in. Backwards. Sometimes after dark. (Note to Self: back-up lights need some fettling) Anyway --- quite the hula-dance, the first few times. But, by the end of our stay? . . . quick + smooth

Maybe not so quiet

But. Nobody complained . . .
    Last edited by LongRanger; 08-31-2014 at 06:02 AM.

We Can Be Heroes

More Aug 2014 . . .

Time for The Town

Car Shows are fun --- Porsche ones, especially . . . . but so is Carmel-by-the-Sea

Town's not very big --- the businessy-part's only maybe ~50-75 itsy-bitsy blocks . . . but Man --- is it packed! Shops, galleries, restaurants . . . so it's surprisingly easy to get lost/not find places . . .

. . . like a special place to have lunch --- that we 1st ate at 2 years ago . . . and only just found again

Note to Self: When picking people to ask for directions, remember --- Realtors know where absolutely everything is

1) More curbsides @Carmel. 1059 took us everywhere --- happily/comfortably . . . + no problems finding parking. 'Just a car' = why I drive a Porsche. + sure beats a rental

2) Yeah --- I shop. Just changed jobs + cities + addresses + everything, so . . . looking at/interested in furnishings

3) + 4) Forge in the Forest. No wonder I couldn't find the place. + the only sign's over the door. Good food, ~pricey . . . but check-out this table top --- one single/solid chunk-'o-tree. + the ambiance. My model for how a small/enclosed/outdoor/urban space can be made magical . . . + another reason why we love Carmel

5) Zovig. Being warm/content. Zovig wore some open-toed sandals to the Werks Reunion . . . which very-promptly got soaked courtesy of all the wet grass @the venue. So she'd spent most of the rest of that day kinda cold/miserable. Luckily --- we came across this cute little Italian shoe store that just happened to have an 85%-off table --- did I mention that I shop? . . . w/ orange shoes (!) --- in Zovig's size (!!!) Zovig's six-feet-tall, so --- finding stuff that fits --- let alone in colors/styles/brands/usw that she likes --- well . . . let's just say 'Yahtzee' + leave it at that. My Happy Little Camperess
    Last edited by LongRanger; 08-30-2014 at 06:03 PM.

We Can Be Heroes

You certainly have more patience than I do...

More Aug 2014 . . .

Saw this neat little car --- smiled . . . reminded me of my old Roadster. Badge on RF lwr 1/4 = 'Drauz.' Also a Super 90! . . .

. . . and in proper use. Lady w/Gentleman + Pupster. (Mine went to the Vet --- + anywhere/everywhere else . . . in mine)

So, Lady catches me eye-balling + calls-out . . .

'. . . You lookin' at me, the dog, or the car? . . .'

Yes

We Can Be Heroes

More Aug 2014 . . .

Looong day

After supper, we were pretty-much done

Did some walking-around, along w/ a little recon --- for Next Time . . . then went back to The Place

1) Never heard of this place. Looks expensive. Park guests' cars out front, too. Hmmm

2) + 3) Alright! --- 'Homestead,' huh? And 'cottages'! And --- looks like they have their own parking lot! OK-maybe

4) Showing-off her shoes. OK --- I made her. Seriously, though. I drag the poor woman out a perfectly fine bed, in a lovely piece of Carmel, at almost the crack o' dawn, drag 'er around a Nasty Car Show for 4-or-5-or-6 hours, where she soaked/ruined her sandals, froze . . . . . . . . . . and just look at her! If I didn't know any better --- I'd say she had a good time

Or maybe it's the shoes. And supper

Whatever

5) R + Z

We Can Be Heroes

More Aug 2014 . . .

Carmel-by-the-Sea

Housing tract. Hhhh

Wonder what Gardeners make, around here?

If you don't mind walking a little --- + you can remember street names/intersections/etc . . . . parking was never a problem

We Can Be Heroes