Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: oil cooler stock on 1973.5 T?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom F.
    I am pretty sure that even the oil lines and trombone were optional on '73 S's. This is based on two '73 S's that I looked at as possible purchases, and the report of a friend who purchased one new in '73, and was surprised (and unhappy) that he didn't get the front cooler. The reason I heard was that the S was "de-contented" to make some room between it and the RS. Wasn't the trombone (instead of the radiator) standard on the 2.7 RS?
    Tom, I believe you are correct. The '73 Carrera RS came stock with a trombone type oil cooler. As far as I know, the 1973 911S (at least the later ones) did not come stock with an oil cooler of any type, unless it was ordered as an option or the car had factory A/C. Again, the 1973 911S with the radiator type oil cooler and the factory installed A/C that I saw (and another that I heard about) were confirmed as coming that way from the factory by someone I feel is a reliable source. Now it could be that person was mistaken, but that was my understanding at the time. Maybe Rick Cabell or Jeff Smith can shed some light here.
    Randy Wells
    Automotive Writer/Photographer/Filmmaker
    www.randywells.com/blog
    www.hotrodfilms.com

Early S Registry #187

Per CoA- factory AC, no oil cooler but then again, my car is a targa. Perhaps the coupes got an oil cooler with factory air, but I doubt it.
    Neil
    '73 911S targa

Radiator type oil coolers were standard on all '69-72S cars. The lines went through the body on the '69 cars. After that they were attached below the rocker panel. In 1973 Porsche changed from the radiator style cooler to the trombone loop style cooler and made the front oil cooler optional for all cars including "S"s...unless the car came with factory A/C. It was done for cost reasons. (The S motor's in the '72 & '73 cars are identical...same horsepower, compression, etc.) I don't think it mattered if the car was a Targa or coupe as to whether or not it got a cooler. You had to check the option list to get it and you could get it on any T, E or S. Years ago I had a '73S Targa that came with the original factory loop style front cooler. Before I owned the Targa I purchased a '73S coupe (which I still own) that did not come with a front oil cooler. In the mid 1980's I installed the thermostat, lines and front loop cooler from an SC on the coupe. With my stock 190 HP MFI motor the loop cooler works fine...even though the car was used primarily for track and racing events.

Is it possible that Euro 1973 911S cars came stock with a trombone oil cooler, but not US models? I have also heard this, but do not know if it is true.
    Randy Wells
    www.randywells.com/blog
    www.hotrodfilms.com

Early S Registry #187

Jared Rundell - Registered User JCR's Avatar
    Me... US '73 S coupe with factory air... no cooler on the car or kardex.
    Jared
    '73 911S #0793
    '69 912_ #0602
    Early S #0454
    RGruppe #0391

Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Radiator type oil coolers were standard on all '69-72S cars. The lines went through the body on the '69 cars. After that they were attached below the rocker panel. In 1973 Porsche changed from the radiator style cooler to the trombone loop style cooler and made the front oil cooler optional for all cars including "S"s...unless the car came with factory A/C. It was done for cost reasons. (The S motor's in the '72 & '73 cars are identical...same horsepower, compression, etc.) I don't think it mattered if the car was a Targa or coupe as to whether or not it got a cooler. You had to check the option list to get it and you could get it on any T, E or S. Years ago I had a '73S Targa that came with the original factory loop style front cooler. Before I owned the Targa I purchased a '73S coupe (which I still own) that did not come with a front oil cooler. In the mid 1980's I installed the thermostat, lines and front loop cooler from an SC on the coupe. With my stock 190 HP MFI motor the loop cooler works fine...even though the car was used primarily for track and racing events.
    Richard? Thank you! IMHO, this is how it was. "I was there"...
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

69-71 911S through the body lines with radiator cooler and small fittings. I have seen two 911E cars of this vintage with the through the body lines, one was a targa, niether had AC.

72 911S underbody lines with different version of the radiator with larger fittings for the larger lines. Standard on the S.

73 911S cooler is trombone type, optional on US cars of any tune, T,E,or S, for $256.00, my 73 911E has it on the window sticker, I bought the car from the original owner and the sales man told him to order one. The cooler was standard in Europe for the S. I have seen way to many Euro cars to think otherwise. AC didnt matter for the states, I have seen many US 911S cars with AC and no cooler. I know know several people here in town that sold the cars knew and remember this detail. I have had two 73S cars #30 has the cooler, and #794 did not have a cooler. I for the radiator cooler on an AC car, NO it was added later, there is nothing to support it being factory. No one could tell because the radiator could have been mounted later, it uses the same holes as the trombone with an additional cover.

Jeff

Thanks, Jeff.
    Randy Wells
    www.randywells.com/blog
    www.hotrodfilms.com

Early S Registry #187

Quote Originally Posted by RandyWebb
    I have a 1973.5 911T. Did those come stock with an external oil cooler? A loop type? It has an aftermarket one now (with what looks like the factory lines). I'm curious as to whether the lines are stock or were added by one of the 5 POs.
    Thanks!
    Randy,

My 1973.5 T does not have a front cooler so I figure it must have been an option you might order or add at a later date. I will point out that even in the hottest Oregon days, once I had my top end done and the cooling system througly cleaned, high temperatures do not seem to be a problem with only the engine mounted cooler..
    Harry

Member #789
    1970 VW Sunroof Kombi Bus - "The Magic Bus"
    1973.5 911T Targa for fun - "Smokey"
    2009 MB C300

Registered User parced@telia.co's Avatar

Sport Seats in RS and trombone on Euro S's

Over here I have only seen oil lines and trombone coolers on -73's cars. My last had AC and olilines. What was standard on any given market any year was much up to the importer. Do remeber that Porsche at that time was a small company. When I ask guys like Mr Jurgen Barth about issues like this he just LOL.

I have seen a RS of the first series that had Comfort seat that came new in the car. That Gulf Blue M472 RS was bought new by the Swedish Prins Bertil. It's still in Sweden, untuched with 700 000 km on it.

Some countries like Italy had rather bare bone S's. My brothers -72 S came fron Milan with Boge, white windows and no sport seats.