Page 39 of 109 FirstFirst ... 2937383940414989 ... LastLast

Thread: Ten Fifty-nine

ASTRA gives the birth dates of the/all owners
    Also, who was the garage selling it ?
    AMAG/Porsche Switzerland will send the kardex were its written which dealer sold it .
    Last edited by 911T1971; 05-06-2013 at 12:40 PM.
    Registry member No.773

Puddles

Quote Originally Posted by TeeItUp View Post
    . . . You left me hanging. What did they do to 1059??? . . .
    Sorry, Tee . . . 1059'll be @TLG for a while, yet, so --- I'm hanging, too

Meanwhile, motor's outta the car + Marco's updating me. So far . . .

a) MFI pump --- the oil leak from the pump area turned-out to be coming from a small access/inspection cover of some kind --- underneath the pump. (Whew!) No big deal. And, while he was in there, Marco noticed stamps from Eurometrix, so the system's been seriously 'tended to, at some point

b) Injectors + lines are out, so that stuff'll get cleaned + checked. Turns out, one of the injectors is stripped, so . . .

c) OG shroud got a good cleaning, looks good --- crazed, a bit peely, but intact . . . . red

d) With the motor out, Marco wants to do some cleaning . . . 'lotta 'body-shop' still back there,' as he puts it

e) Then there's some fuel line to replace, plus misc tidying-up/powder-coating/etc --- although he'll leave the fan alone. I love the whole Jules Verne look of the engine compartment --- old-fashioned tidy + orderly, and dark --- not grimy, really, just . . . business

Quote Originally Posted by 911T1971 View Post
    . . . ASTRA gives the birth dates of the/all owners . . . Also, who was the garage selling it . . . AMAG/Porsche Switzerland will send the kardex were its written which dealer sold it . . .
    Oh, yeah --- I'm still sooo on this

And if I haven't said it before, Karim? --- thank you so much for your advice/suggestions + contacts

Thanks to you, I'll use the info that I received from ASTRA to write another letter to AMAG/Porsche

(And I'm not done w/ Donald C. Anderson, either . . .)

Marco's shots of the MFI pump + puddle
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by LongRanger; 07-29-2012 at 08:44 PM.

We Can Be Heroes

More 2012 Jul Service

Well, after dodging any major issues w/ the MFI pump . . . seems like I’m gonna get it --- in the exhaust

Been talking w/ Marco as he works along. With the motor out, and as bits come off, Marco took off the heat-exchanges and ran ‘em through the parts washer, try to take off some of the asphalt/slag that’s been growing there. Exchangers came clean, alright . . . but they don’t look so good. After 40-some years of service, too --- who knew? . . .

Throw in a muffler, already pin-holed, as I remember --- back in the original PPI three years ago, so . . . . looks like the whole system is due for replacement

For the muffler, Marco recommended a Leistritz, which I duly located over on Pelican --- $550 shipped

So much for that fancy-schmancy new camera

(Already got a work order open w/ SONY Service to ship/repair/restore my old one, so . . . hopefully I can stop borrowing cameras and get back to digi-pixeling, here/again/shortly. Or not --- it’s 6-7 years old, so . . .)

I’m already over-budget, but this whole exhaust cluster/thing is gonna need a proper 40-year repair. Car needs/deserves it, so --- I’m OK

. . . and there goes Rolly’s Big Tank w/sender

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...-ltr-fuel-tank

Anyway, I really wanna keep 1059 as stock as possible. Not interested in sound or horsepower or eye candy or anything that wasn’t there when the car was new, so I’m on the hunt for a full set of replacement exhaust bits. . .

I’m posting an ad on our site. If anybody has/knows of a set of decent stock/OEM/not-too-banged-up heat-exchangers --- ones that are for a 2.2 w/ MFI . . . then please let me know?

This is no show car --- 1059’s a Runner (You did see all the bondo dust, paint chips and oil spray, right?) So as long as any replacement bits are serviceable + functional . . . and don’t look too outta place w/ all the other 40-some-year-old stuff that’s already doing duty back there, then? . . . I'm good-to-go
    Last edited by LongRanger; 08-20-2012 at 12:26 PM.

We Can Be Heroes

More 2012 Jul Service . . .

Stopped by TLG last Friday --- to say hello, see my car, talk about the job + shoot the sh!t . . . and, oh-yeah ---- pay

Had some good responses from my posts, looking for HEs. Actually found a pair of what look to be pretty d@mn decent bits, a couple weeks back, asked for + got some pictures, passed those around and got some good feed-back --- on the bits and the Seller . . . settled on a price, sent payment, so now, we’re just waiting for everything to turn up, here, in the next week or so. More later

When I first got the car, I knew I was in for some serious maintenance + long-term repairs . . . including this Exhaust System Dealio. At first, I was all set on getting a high-quality stainless-steel replacement system --- SSIs et al . . . all pretty-much life-time, as well as good-looking/beautiful/quality stuff. But after talking some more w/ Marco . . . my thinking’s been changing

1059 isn’t original any more . . . but, the more I’m around her and the more I drive her, the more I like her stock . . . or, at least as stock as possible. For me, next to original, stock is Best. All the bits play nice together and everything looks like it does in the pictures in the manuals, so when it comes to time to diagnose/fix/repair/replace something/anything, I know what I’m looking at/dealing with

(I’m also almost allergic to modified cars. Little too much experience de-engineering other people’s ideas of improvements)

The other thing is something about the car itself. And also about me

I don’t think of 1059 so much as a high-performance vehicle or a collector car or investment . . . but more (and more) as an artifact. To have come all this way, though all these years, with so much of her original stuff still there, still intact . . . yeah-yeah, a little beat, maybe, scuffed-up, worn, not so clean + shiny any more . . . but mostly still all-there, still working, fixable . . . = wonderful. So I’m OK with Old

I’m also not much for restoring stuff. I’d rather re-use something (if I can), or re-cycle something else old (if I can’t), than do the NOS replacement/aerospace-quality up-grade/whole-nine-yards restoration. Besides, because I use the car . . . nothing will stay nice, for long. Entropy, you know?

(Besides, Perfect Cars get parked. My car? . . . . Not)

I’m also cheap. A pair of new SSI heat exchangers = ~$1300, Dansk = ~$2600, Stoddard (OEM) = ~$3200

Gulp

(All my bits, so far --- silencer + HEs, including shipping = $1k)

I’m also very very lazy. Finding all this used stuff takes time --- almost three weeks . . . which suits me . . . time enough for me to talk all this over w/ Marco, scrounge up the bits I need, wrap my head around all the work that’s gonna live more-or-less quietly + almost-invisibly under the car's a$$ . . . . and come up w/ the funds to pay for it all --- $1500 (down) on the work so far

1), thru 4) HEs, in-bound . . . . fingers crossed

5) 1059 . . . impersonating a lamp post
    Last edited by LongRanger; 08-27-2012 at 04:05 PM.

We Can Be Heroes

More 2012 Jul Service . . .

1) and 2) Engine number 6301439 . . . with a clean(er) face

3) and 4). . . lotta body shop still back there . . .

5) Original sound blanket

We Can Be Heroes

Quote Originally Posted by LongRanger View Post

1059 isn’t original any more . . . but, the more I’m around her and the more I drive her, the more I like her stock . . . or, at least as stock as possible. For me, next to original, stock is Best...

The other thing is something about the car itself. And also about me

I don’t think of 1059 so much as a high-performance vehicle or a collector car or investment . . . but more (and more) as an artifact. To have come all this way, though all these years, with so much of her original stuff still there, still intact . . . yeah-yeah, a little beat, maybe, scuffed-up, worn, not so clean + shiny, maybe . . . but mostly still all-there, still working, fixable . . . = wonderful. So I’m OK with Old
    My brother from a different mother... we share the same philosophy
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

Quote Originally Posted by LongRanger View Post

5) Original sound blanket
    Interesting pic as it looks like a new pattern on the sound pad for '70, Rick.

69 may have been the last year for the first series pattern... Probably belongs on the 'unique to 69' thread as a 'last'... I'll go add it to the list.

Here is mine:

Name:  IMG_2642_30.jpg
Views: 621
Size:  73.2 KB
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

Quote Originally Posted by beh911 View Post
    Interesting pic as it looks like a new pattern on the sound pad for '70, Rick.

69 may have been the last year for the first series pattern... Probably belongs on the 'unique to 69' thread as a 'last'... I'll go add it to the list.

Here is mine:

Name:  IMG_2642_30.jpg
Views: 621
Size:  73.2 KB
    I'm not so sure...I think all the horsehair pads were the same.
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

Quote Originally Posted by Mr9146 View Post
    I'm not so sure...I think all the horsehair pads were the same.
    Marco, check out this thread. Seems to confirm what I wrote

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...gine-Sound-Pad
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

Quote Originally Posted by beh911 View Post
    Marco, check out this thread. Seems to confirm what I wrote

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...gine-Sound-Pad
    I guess I'd just never seen them in a side-by-side comparison until now; they're obviously different patterns. Thanks for the link. I'm a sucker for just this type of minutea.
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687